• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spare Air

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Austin6400

Sep 6, 2014
Hey! So I have posted a thread in "greets" about this...sorta.Anyways I was wondering if you can use spare air in a pool? And since it's a pool (8 1/2 feet deep) do you have go down on a dive rope and accend slowly...And are they refillable with a standard air compressor? How much do they cost? Do you have to constantly exhale or can you hold your breath?Im a new diver who's only done 2 dives (pool, and natural spring).Is a scuba tank with a regulator a better option (see my other thread ) Are there any other devices on the market for breathing underwater in a pool

Hey bud. I've had the same thought.

An answer to your question about holding your breath; as long as you're neutrally buoyant, (and don't float to the surface) I can't imagine holding your breath would be a problem. (Since the reason not to hold your breath is that when you ascend the air expands in your lungs. -If you stay neutral, the air shouldn't expand.) You would, of course, need to exhale as you headed back to the surface. ESA style. (emergency swimming ascent)

The Spare Air website says: "Spare Air now has 57 breaths at the surface, or 3.0 cubic feet of air (approximately two - five minutes)."
of course, being 8ft down, it would be slightly reduced.

Cost: between $200 and $275 depending if you want it filled.

It would appear, once again from their website, that you could fill it with a standard air compressor. (or from your regular scuba tank - They supply the adapter when you purchase)

Honestly, 2 to 5 minutes isn't a very long dive. You might consider a Pony bottle instead. (not nearly as small as Spare Air, but not as big as a full Scuba tank.)

The last suggestion might be one of the 'hookah systems'.
http://www.dudeiwantthat.com/outdoors/watersports/snorkel-hookah.asp

Personally, I just enjoy the Freediving/Breath hold approach. (I can hold my breath while swimming for about a minute... still working at it of course.)

Good luck, Mate.

Hey! So I have posted a thread in "greets" about this...sorta.Anyways I was wondering if you can use spare air in a pool? And since it's a pool (8 1/2 feet deep) do you have go down on a dive rope and accend slowly...And are they refillable with a standard air compressor? How much do they cost? Do you have to constantly exhale or can you hold your breath?Im a new diver who's only done 2 dives (pool, and natural spring).Is a scuba tank with a regulator a better option (see my other thread ) Are there any other devices on the market for breathing underwater in a pool
Yes, you can breath compressed air in a pool, but why do you want to? The depth is relatively shallow, but still use your dive tables to understand your nitrogen loading .

Considering the fact that some (if not most) scuba diving classes start in a swimming pool, it sounds like Austin6400 skipped diving class, especially the lack of nitrogen loading. Scuba diving classes are very important.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT