• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spare with a monofin?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

okane

Oct 28, 2004
I do mainly sparefishing, for a while I've been courioused about monofins, pepole who use them, never go back to regular fins, I tought they might be fun to use a monofin, but the price of a mono is really expensive. Now I use gara3000, and I love them, maybe a little big on the way up on the rocks, have little scratches on the tip of them.

Is it possible to spare with a mono, has anyone does it? how is it like?

The thing is I would like a monofin for the fun of it, but I don't wan't to end up with a super expensive monofin only to be used eventually for fun, I would like to know if I'll be able to use it for hours in hunting also to make my money whort it.

Wich one would you buy to do some constant weight, fun sea swimming and sparefishing if it can be done??

Okane

I wouldnt recommend it. Lack of manuverability for one thing but many other reasons someone like Jon or unirdna can elaborate on better than me since they have both types.

I've tried it and it didn't work out so well.

I guess if you dive deep and ambush spear your prey (aspetto?) it might work, but when trying to creep through the weed beds in water less than 30' deep it just wasn't worth it.

I think I read where Eric F. was freediving for crabs with his monofin up on the west coast of Canada, but I am not sure if anyone else has tried it?:confused:

I find bi-fins to be much more manuverable to use when spearing. I also picked up a pair of C4-80's at the ned of the summer and I found them to be much more comfortable, to ME, for deep diving than my monofin. Obviously, since all the current constant ballast records are held by monofin swimmers this may not mean too much- but, what free advice ever is?;)

Still, if you had to dive deep, had the right technique, and didn't have to crawl into any caves to spearfish they might work out just fine.

Just my $0.01- I can't say $0.02 anymore since the Euro is kicking our ass over here.:blackeye

Jon

I tried and had a hard time with it. It's difficult to manoeuver, turn slowly on a point, and fighting the fish at the surface or on the way up. When laying on the bottom, it's good to have your legs apart wide for balance when you start moving the gun towards a target....usually I'd start tipping over to the side and the fish would bolt :(
Cheers,
Erik Y.

You can also try a dolphin kick with your bi-fins, yet still have the manouverability of bi-fins on the surface and bottom when you need it. This obviously won't give you the same propulsion as a mono, but it works well. I did it for a couple of years before getting a mono. Mind you, I don't spear fish...yet.

Jason

Originally posted by Erik
usually I'd start tipping over to the side and the fish would bolt :(
Cheers,
Erik Y.

another reason not to drink and dive:D Join Spearos Against Drunk Diving(SADD) and help stop the insanity:friday

Memberships check can be made out to Mike Freeman at ......

Reactions: Erik
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT