• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spares for Mares...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Fibonacci

Jan 16, 2016
I'm on the hunt for seal kits, piston assemblies and shock absorbers to overhaul a couple of Mares pneumatic spearguns (Sten and Cyrano) that need some TLC...

I seem to recall they were listed on www.spearfishingworld.com about a year ago but seem to have mysteriously disappeared from the pull down list!
http://www.spearfishingworld.com/pneumatic-speargun-pistons.html
http://www.spearfishingworld.com/pneumatic-speargun-o-ring-kit.html
http://www.spearfishingworld.com/pneumatic-speargun-shock-absorber.html

Has Mares policy now changed to match SCUBA regulators?!
I contacted one of the Australian dealers who advised seal kits are considered service items not available to the general public... but they would service a Mares pneumatic for a flat fee of $179 :mad:
Anyone know of an alternate source?

OK I spent some time last night searching the Deeper Blue archives, and found mention of the Italian site Edosub!

They list pretty much every Mares part you would need for a total pneumatic rebuild :cool:

So to answer my own question and hopefully benefit others, here's the link below... there may well be other parts 'hidden in plain sight' but sadly my Italian skills are limited to Google Translate :D

http://www.edosub.it/ecommerce/inde...=shop.browse&Itemid=82&limit=20&limitstart=80

Last edited:
Reactions: Jegwan
Yes, I do most of my spare parts shopping with Edo and can highly recommend him. He is just one of those great vendors with real knowledge and service. His website and payment system is a tad old school, but the over all experience is smooth enough.

If you don't find a part, then just email him, he normally replies fast.
Furthermore, he carries both Devoto and Sigalsub shafts for pneumatics.

Reactions: jorz21
If you don't find a part, then just email him, he normally replies fast.
Furthermore, he carries both Devoto and Sigalsub shafts for pneumatics.

Thanks for the recommendation, it's hard to know who is good or not when the entire site is in another language!
I just emailed him regarding some other parts for a Mares Medi Sten Competition I am restoring,

Incidentally, talking about pneumatic overhauls, what do others use to remove the rear valve assembly block?
I've improvised a piece of metal to fit this very wide slot but surely there must be some tool available or adaptable....

Thanks for the recommendation, it's hard to know who is good or not when the entire site is in another language!
I just emailed him regarding some other parts for a Mares Medi Sten Competition I am restoring,

Hi Fibonacci,
I have recommended Edo widely since I came across him. Apart from the old website it's always smooth. He ships fast and packs the orders well, too.

Incidentally, talking about pneumatic overhauls, what do others use to remove the rear valve assembly block?
I've improvised a piece of metal to fit this very wide slot but surely there must be some tool available or adaptable....

As for the pump valve tool, here is an old thread by Pete that Gazz and I added to:
https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/diy-tool-for-removing-rear-inlet-valve.93638/#post-952434

Last edited:
yep, Edo rules! You can talk to him on Facebook messanger, too! I have come to dislike mares due to their high prices and representative attitute.

Reactions: Diving Gecko
As for the pump valve tool, here is an old thread by Pete that Gazz and I added to:
https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/diy-tool-for-removing-rear-inlet-valve.93638/#post-952434

Hi Gecko, many thanks for that link most informative...

While we are talking inlet valves, could you please confirm the size of the ball bearing used?

A Medisten I am currently restoring has a ball bearing with some pits that measures 4.75mm dia (close enough to 3/16") but I'm not sure if this is the original size (as Mares is usually Metric) and the gun shows evidence of being fiddled with :eek:

Hi Gecko, many thanks for that link most informative...

While we are talking inlet valves, could you please confirm the size of the ball bearing used?

A Medisten I am currently restoring has a ball bearing with some pits that measures 4.75mm dia (close enough to 3/16") but I'm not sure if this is the original size (as Mares is usually Metric) and the gun shows evidence of being fiddled with :eek:

Hello Fibonacci,
Sorry, got busy with real life work but just took apart a Mares pump valve and measured the ball:
KJCHWcc.jpg

UTF1kmg.jpg

So, nothing wrong with your friend's ball (bearing).

Hello Fibonacci,
Sorry, got busy with real life work but just took apart a Mares pump valve and measured the ball:
So, nothing wrong with your friend's ball (bearing).

Hah great Gecko, good to know... I just measured a Technisub bearing which is also 4.75mm dia.
So for some very good reason, it seems all these spearguns use a non-Metric-standard ball bearing!

Getting an actual 4.75mm diameter ball bearing in stainless 316 or even 304 has proved very difficult... 5mm is dead easy.
However a common 3/16" bearing is 4.7625mm and for this usage 0.0125mm will not matter :D

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Reactions: Diving Gecko
Hi Fibonacci,
Yes, I have used order from Edosub, thanks to Gecko, for replacement parts for Mares Evo. It was very helpful and I am waiting for them to arrive but was dismayed at shipping cost as twice the price of parts ordered. Still better than what I can get in Australia, pfft! Afterwards, I came across this site, and looks like price of shipping is half of what the cost is from Italy. Do not know what service is like though. Edo was very helpful.

Hi Fibonacci,
Yes, I have used order from Edosub, thanks to Gecko, for replacement parts for Mares Evo. It was very helpful and I am waiting for them to arrive but was dismayed at shipping cost as twice the price of parts ordered. Still better than what I can get in Australia, pfft! Afterwards, I came across this site, and looks like price of shipping is half of what the cost is from Italy. Do not know what service is like though. Edo was very helpful.

The Subprof site looks great, easy to use and in English too... however my poor experience with my first order means it will be my last!
Stick with Edosub, but remind him Australia is VAT-exempt and he will adjust accordingly... minimum freight is very high so best to organise a group order with some friends and split the cost.

Reactions: floatingbeatle
The Subprof site looks great, easy to use and in English too... however my poor experience with my first order means it will be my last!
Stick with Edosub, but remind him Australia is VAT-exempt and he will adjust accordingly... minimum freight is very high so best to organise a group order with some friends and split the cost.
Sorry to learn of your poor experience with Subprof. I was hoping it would be another good avenue for supply of parts, or guns. That's a good idea for group buying, but of all my friends, I am the only one using pneumatics and they all use Rob Allen pipe guns, so easy for parts in Australia. Still, I think Edo is cheaper overall than buying in Oz.

Sent from my U15 Pro using Tapatalk

When the local Mares distributor cannot be bothered bringing an item in I order from DiveStock in Estonia. Deliveries from them are very quick, they are as fast as getting gear locally. For example I needed a Cyrano piston, from DiveStock I received it within a week, whereas a decade would pass to get one locally as they do not seem to be interested in selling spares.
https://www.divestock.com/stock-cle...116465713&mc_cid=52af7b3482&mc_eid=b35695afc2

When the local Mares distributor cannot be bothered bringing an item in I order from DiveStock in Estonia. Deliveries from them are very quick, they are as fast as getting gear locally. For example I needed a Cyrano piston, from DiveStock I received it within a week, whereas a decade would pass to get one locally as they cannot be bothered.
https://www.divestock.com/stock-cle...116465713&mc_cid=52af7b3482&mc_eid=b35695afc2
Wow! That's quick Pete. Are costs of goods and shipping comparable?

That looks like a nice gun. I see it only comes in 70 cm. Unusual specs as per ID size do you think? Most seem to be 11 or 13mm?

Nothing to worry about, pump it up to the max that you can load at and you can use anything, provided it shoots the weight of shaft that you need. The Omer AirXII gun comes in other sizes, 70 cm is all that they have in stock at the moment..

Last edited:
Reactions: floatingbeatle
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT