• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spear fishing Mozambique

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Benc

Proper Shooter
Aug 10, 2007
A friend of mine who isn't on here is going to Mozambique at Easter and is looking to do some spear fishing, has anyone got any info on the area please as in length of gun, species etc? He would mostly be going off the shore I think but will also have a boat for a few days. Thanks in advance, ben

Go to YouTube and type "spearfishing Mozambique".

You'll get a real good idea on the type of spearfishing available there.... Hint: IT'S AWESOME!

Off-shore its clear waters, huge fish and big guns etc.

I'm not sure I'll ever get a chance to make it there, but it is a dream spearo destination.

Hi Benc,
These are a few very nice videos of what it's like to dive Mozambique. I myself, am not a spearo, just a freediver. But I really enjoy videos like these two.

Wow thanks chaps he is actually staying on vamizi so the videos are hugely helpful!

Looking at all the awesome videos online may portray the idea that you are able to get into any area during any time and spear a world record Doggie.

Like most places there are times when certain areas produce fish at specific times and times when it doesn't. I've been to Moz and after 10 days of solid diving didn’t even manage to pull the trigger once.

For sure there are trophy or even world record fish to be had, but I would recommend anyone considering to make a spearfishing specific trip there to research the area where they will be diving really well. Also, taking an experienced guide with will make a huge difference whether a trip will be a success or not. This is not just to do with finding the right areas to dive but also dealing with the locals, acquiring spearfishing permits etc.

Also, train before hand. In order to get the best out of Moz I would say one should be comfortable at diving to at least 30m the whole day long.

Equipment wise, nothing smaller than 1.2m gun. Finding speargun spares are nigh on impossible in remote areas. Take some extra fins, spears, bands, wishbones, shooting line, crimps etc. Wetsuit - 3mm is the most you will need, A 3mm farmer john with a lycra top works really well for me.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT