• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spear points - Some questions

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

noobey

Jul 23, 2018
I need some help choosing spear-tips for 7mm threaded shafts. There's too many to choose from and I can't find any useful info about this.
So, I'm fishing shallow waters with rocks that could bend spears. Damage from those rocks are a big concern.
Small fish for now, like small-mouth bass. And then northern-pike when I learn more. A few questions, if you don't mind. :bookworm:

1) A single-flopper-conical-tip looks like it would work well for my needs. Is there a better shape I should consider?

2) What are the advantages/disadvantages of multi-prong spears? Should I get 3, 4 or 5 prongs? Is there a notable difference between "light prongs" and "heavy prongs" ?
Salimar has like 15 different types of multi-prong spearheads, which is crazy. And little information behind them all.

3) Do all spear-tips have universal fittings? If I buy a salvimar shaft, will all of salvimar's spear-tips fit just fine, or do I have to match something?

In general, you can buy shafts with threaded ends that will allow you to screw on a variety of different tips OR you can find shafts that have the shaft itself sharpened into a point and a hole drilled through the shaft to allow attachment of a flopper.

If you are concerned about hitting rocks etc., then a shaft without a threaded end is a better choice. This eliminates the potential weak point of a threaded end, the shaft is often less expensive than a threaded shaft and tip combination. The shaft tip can be sharpened without too much difficulty when it is dulled by impact.

You will want to pick a gun size that is appropriate for you visibility. Shorter guns for low visibility and vice versa.

You can check out my website if you want to familiarize yourself with some options for shafts or tips.

Thanks

Dano

I spearfish in areas where certain species (Drummer) like to hide under rocks, so damage to the spear tip on a pneumatic is a big concern.
I ordered a single flopper speartip with a hardened insert to suit a 7mm shaft from this seller on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIQUE-spe...625527?hash=item1c7b5ab177:g:JroAAOSw44BYi1ua
Been very successful... even full power shots with pass-throughs into granite boulders leaves the speartip almost unscathed!
So I ordered two more :cool:

I need some help choosing spear-tips for 7mm threaded shafts. There's too many to choose from and I can't find any useful info about this.
So, I'm fishing shallow waters with rocks that could bend spears. Damage from those rocks are a big concern.
Small fish for now, like small-mouth bass. And then northern-pike when I learn more. A few questions, if you don't mind. :bookworm:

1) A single-flopper-conical-tip looks like it would work well for my needs. Is there a better shape I should consider?

2) What are the advantages/disadvantages of multi-prong spears? Should I get 3, 4 or 5 prongs? Is there a notable difference between "light prongs" and "heavy prongs" ?
Salimar has like 15 different types of multi-prong spearheads, which is crazy. And little information behind them all.

3) Do all spear-tips have universal fittings? If I buy a salvimar shaft, will all of salvimar's spear-tips fit just fine, or do I have to match something?
I get all of my tips from linghunt. His are the best I have used.

Single floppers have pulled out of big fish for me. I prefer double winged for big species. But, I always use a slip tip with kevlar cable on my poles. Standard procedure so to speak.

Multi prong spears are for targeting smaller species, like sunfish. My company's multi prong uses a stainless foot long 3 prong. Heavier usually means stronger metal. Depends though honestly.

Alot of poles are 6mm, or 5/16 (8mm). I would get a simple flopper tip. If you want a one time purchase, get a linghunt. I killed over a 20 lb dog snapper last spring, on one of his flopper tips on one of my kevlar polespears. Impressive pieces of hardware. Feel free to shoot me a message if you need any more help. I'd be happy to help you out.

Reactions: poildeq
Thanks for the detailed replies, fella's.

The lack of info on a lot of dealer websites is just frustrating. They can't even state the most basic of info, like length/size of their products or material used. You would think that they would post the threading profile of the shaft + tips, so that buyers know what matches. But they don't, I can't even find that info on Salvimar's website.

So I sent off two emails to two different sellers. I asked if a "salvimar ak9 conical tip" , in 9mm diameter, would fit onto my 7mm shafts without issue.
I got two replies this morning :confused:

"Hi There,

Thanks for reaching out!

Unfortunately the 9mm tips will not fit onto your 7mm shafts. We do have a 7mm barbed tip available

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Warm Regards, "

""Yes because the thread is universal

Kind Regards

Andrea""

Thanks for the detailed replies, fella's.

The lack of info on a lot of dealer websites is just frustrating. They can't even state the most basic of info, like length/size of their products or material used. You would think that they would post the threading profile of the shaft + tips, so that buyers know what matches. But they don't, I can't even find that info on Salvimar's website.

So I sent off two emails to two different sellers. I asked if a "salvimar ak9 conical tip" , in 9mm diameter, would fit onto my 7mm shafts without issue.
I got two replies this morning :confused:

"Hi There,

Thanks for reaching out!

Unfortunately the 9mm tips will not fit onto your 7mm shafts. We do have a 7mm barbed tip available

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Warm Regards, "

""Yes because the thread is universal

Kind Regards
Andrea""
Is it a male or female 7mm?

Yes Linghunt makes my fav pole spear n his service is 2nd to none

I get all of my tips from linghunt. His are the best I have used.

Single floppers have pulled out of big fish for me. I prefer double winged for big species. But, I always use a slip tip with kevlar cable on my poles. Standard procedure so to speak.

Multi prong spears are for targeting smaller species, like sunfish. My company's multi prong uses a stainless foot long 3 prong. Heavier usually means stronger metal. Depends though honestly.

Alot of poles are 6mm, or 5/16 (8mm). I would get a simple flopper tip. If you want a one time purchase, get a linghunt. I killed over a 20 lb dog snapper last spring, on one of his flopper tips on one of my kevlar polespears. Impressive pieces of hardware. Feel free to shoot me a message if you need any more help. I'd be happy to help you out.

If you are concerned about hitting rocks etc., then a shaft without a threaded end is a better choice. This eliminates the potential weak point of a threaded end, the shaft is often less expensive than a threaded shaft and tip combination. The shaft tip can be sharpened without too much difficulty when it is dulled by impact.

this depends. Softer tips will be dulled and sharpened each outing, and tip will be filed down to nothing in no time. So, if hitting rocks is a concern (for me it is), you need threaded shaft and replaceable tips. I went through a few tips before my shaft threaded end broke off. Took me couple years to get to that point. Then I simply cut a new thread to the shaft. This made the shaft about 1/2 inch shorter because of the broken off threaded part, but essentially works the same.

Sometimes I can see that I will hit the rock hard and take my chance anyway because the fish is worth the trip. In such occasions my tip is flattened like a butt end. You can also hammer the tip back into shape to reduce the wastage of metal and make the tip work a bit longer but after all, 10$ tip is somewhat a consumable sacrificial part of the whole gun. Shafts are considerably more expensive.

I would consider threaded tips for smaller guns that are used in hunting rocks (90cm and under). With a flopper integrated into the shaft, you may over time end up sharpening the tip down to the flopper. I have done it.

I avoid multi prong tips because they seem to deal more damage to fillets, and cannot handle the stress of fighting larger, powerful fish.

JCS makes my favorite tips. They are stream lined into the 6mm threading with no shoulder, made of stainless steel, and are cheap. There are many quality products, you will need to test to see what you prefer, because they are all capable of taking a fish.

Reactions: noobey
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT