• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spear shaft

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

swimfish

Mar 21, 2021
Hi all!

I am new to spearfishing & would like to know, what is the best size spear shaft to use in a speargun & is there a Spear shaft that fits all guns?

Hi all!

I am new to spearfishing & would like to know, what is the best size spear shaft to use in a speargun & is there a Spear shaft that fits all guns?
The size of the shaft is typically sized to the length of your gun and the amount of power you're planning to use. More power and longer gun, you may want to get a thicker shaft. The best length is the shortest length that will fit your gun without the flopper hitting your track/gun.

You'll also want to check what style mech you have, i.e. euro or american.

So, what gun do you have or planning to pick up? If a new pre-made on, it should come with a shaft. Ultimately we'd need to know more info before offering recommendations on shaft thickness and length.

The size of the shaft is typically sized to the length of your gun and the amount of power you're planning to use. More power and longer gun, you may want to get a thicker shaft. The best length is the shortest length that will fit your gun without the flopper hitting your track/gun.

You'll also want to check what style mech you have, i.e. euro or american.

So, what gun do you have or planning to pick up? If a new pre-made on, it should come with a shaft. Ultimately we'd need to know more info before offering recommendations on shaft thickness and length.
Hi thanks for the response,
I have a Cressi Comanche Rail, 100cm. The spear is broken and I cannot get back the original spear as I am in Jamaica. I know it is a European gun as Cressi is an Italian brand. I was told Beuchat Spears can also fit in the Cressi gun, I called a store that sells Spear guns but the lady doesn’t have a clue. It’s a 3 hr drive so wanted to find out first.

Hi thanks for the response,
I have a Cressi Comanche Rail, 100cm. The spear is broken and I cannot get back the original spear as I am in Jamaica. I know it is a European gun as Cressi is an Italian brand. I was told Beuchat Spears can also fit in the Cressi gun, I called a store that sells Spear guns but the lady doesn’t have a clue. It’s a 3 hr drive so wanted to find out first.
Thanks for the info. If you want it back to stock, then it appears the original Cressi comes with a 6mm diameter shaft. Since your gun is 100cm, your shaft would be 140cm long. Typically you add 40 cm to your specified gun length. If there is a shaft that's shorter and the flopper doesn't interfere with the barrel or track, I'd get the shorter shaft. Is this a single band gun?
To me you would also be fine with a shaft up to 7mm. The Omer America One shafts are nice (and very straight). The Rob Allen's are solid and I'm partial to using them on my guns. Almost indestructible. In any case, I wouldn't venture over 7mm unless you're running more than a single band. Shaft would be euro cut.

Reactions: Mr. X
Thanks for the info. If you want it back to stock, then it appears the original Cressi comes with a 6mm diameter shaft. Since your gun is 100cm, your shaft would be 140cm long. Typically you add 40 cm to your specified gun length. If there is a shaft that's shorter and the flopper doesn't interfere with the barrel or track, I'd get the shorter shaft. Is this a single band gun?
To me you would also be fine with a shaft up to 7mm. The Omer America One shafts are nice (and very straight). The Rob Allen's are solid and I'm partial to using them on my guns. Almost indestructible. In any case, I wouldn't venture over 7mm unless you're running more than a single band. Shaft would be euro cut.
Thanks so much, your response really helped me & yes it’s a single band gun.

Why would you suggest a shorter shaft? Still learning lol
The longer the shaft is, the easier it is to flex, and we want to minimize any flexing during the shot.

Depending on the power of the bands, the thickness of the shaft, and its length (and the material too), the shaft can start to flex or whip. This will cause accuracy issues. Some people like to help control it using an enclosed track, but in my opinion it's better not to have the flex at any point from release.

Beuchat shafts will fit a Cressi mechanism. For a 100 cm gun, you'll need either a 140 or a 130 cm shaft. If you get a thicker shaft (7 mm) you want it to be a little shorter (130 cm). If it is 6.5 mm, get a 140 cm shaft. Bring your speargun to the store and there you can decide which shaft lenght you like most.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT