• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Speardfishing ethics?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Blackfish

May 11, 2015
I ran across this video and find it questionable.

Any comments on this?

I am ashamed myself.

What is the ethical issue? Has he taken too long to "iki" the fish? Is it undersize, endangered, protected, your favourite species in a Disney cartoon, etc, etc? Or are you just opposed to the sustainable use of fish?

Sharkey

Reactions: SurfnSpear
Hunting inherently involves killing something. These divers were not tormenting their prey--it was just a difficult take. It happens. Finish it and move on. Learn. If you don't like it don't watch--or--post viable constructive criticism.

Reactions: John B Griffith Jr
Probably not the best video for promoting ethical spearfishing!
Obviously a tough fish!

Please tell us what you find questionable. Its not obvious to me.

Blackfish, A couple of points here: That was a tough fish. Period. Not a "kill shot" in and of itself...this is spearfishing, not shotgun fishing. So the spearo did not have a knife (apparently), which adds to the problem. It was shot at a pretty significant depth...so there is a certain amount of travel time involved. Spearfishing is, for the most part, the most ethical and sustainable fishing method there is. All fishing results in the death of the fish. Killing something usually involves a certain amount of pain and suffering for the animal being killed...and we know this. He wasn't playing with it, nor was he abusing the fish...just not prepared to quickly dispatch it. I am a really serious animal advocate...and I work with, and support, a number of organizations and campaigns aimed at promoting conservation of the Seas, the fish and our environment. I am also a spear fisherman and free diver. There is a time and place for well-directed empathy and there are many forums for supporting any number of causes...from the cessation of the Taiji Dolphin Drives, ending the Grind in the Faroes, emptying the tanks at Sea World, ending shark tournaments, whatever your brand of conservationism is...but this is a Spearfishing Forum...and you have got to be aware of the audience you chose for your post. That might be the most questionable thing on this thread. There are many other threads on DeeperBlue that may offer you a different viewpoint and I encourage you to re-post and be specific with your concerns so that like-minded people can constructively contribute to the shared knowledge. Namaste.

Reactions: Broseidon and winky
Situations like this can happens even to the best spearo, one false movement and you knife can go to the botton in the moment that you most need it, I dont see a clear intention from the spearo to ejerce un need it suffering to the fish.
Any way Spearfishing is in deed a Sub aquatic Hunting technique, what involves death of the prey( as all hunting techniques), and if you think about ethics is more ethically correct to spear and kill a fish (from the species and the size desired) that has been growth in open waters free than eat a chiken that never has see the sun light just a bulb?
Environmental Ethics are concer way more that the way an individual dies, in my perception how it lives (how much space have to move, what do they eat, how they pair...) is a more important Ethical question...
I hope nobody get offended my poit of view.
BR
Sacudo

What is the fish? Looks a though he has shot it in a hole, not knowing what it is. Seems like he might be wondering how safe it is to put his hand near its mouth to disengage the flopper and release the fish?
Otherwise it could have been Iki'd quicker - no knife is no excuse, as there was a second gun. Fighting a fish is a bit of a different story, and we all strive for the best shot to avoid this.
We all make mistakes, but identification and selecting our target is our first point when it comes to justifying spearfishing.

They are kind of scary once you've shot them, very placid until you do. He could have been quicker with his knife, but he looked like he was pretty busy keeping it away from himself the first part of the video...

Hi people, a lot of well thought, humane ethics here, something I value. To me it shows the quality of this forum, stellar.
Now consider Blackfish's post. Some have noticed the lack of questions. Its only a vague statement. I've checked Blackfish, and 'she' has only made 1 post, opening this thread. I find these two actions not typical of a new member, nor of a worried person asking for insight, certaily not reflective of how a 38 year old women would verbalise her question.
In conclusion I suspect we're being played. I do not know by who or why, but I do know her 5 min effort did cost us a few hours of responses. The lack of follow up questions or even a simple thank you is rather telling this is a sapping and trolling action, not a real person wanting to give and learn.

Again I'm delighted with the patient and high quality responses, thank you.

Kars

If wolffish is searched on YouTube there are many vids of difficult harvests, both H&L and spearo. This species is a tough hombre. I can only imagine spearing a Conger would be as hard to handle. Wolffish is good fare if prepped correctly. Kars is right that time was spent but worth the discussion regardless of who or what lit the fuse.

I agree Agbiv, we have still abeneficial discussion, in more ways then we initially expected!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…