• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

spearfish boat on a college budget

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jcoleman1

Dec 23, 2018
I go to school in Tampa, FL and I’ll be getting a house next year. Which means I can store all my spear fishing gear now. With that I’d love to get a super cheap boat. Just something to get me out into the bay and maybe the ocean on a good, flat day. I see RIBs are pretty much what everyone recommends but from what I’ve seen they’re pretty expensive. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends mainly on your budget. What do you have to work with in that regard? Your options also expand if you're mechanically inclined. Some used boats can be fixed up to serve nicely.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking because there’ll be 5 guys in this house we’re getting. So we’ll have some manpower to get and fixing done. Preferably don’t want to go above 3-4K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get a very decent and serviceable boat in that price range. I recommend checking Craigslist within that price range. Had a quick look myself just now, and found a 19' Grady White with a 175 hp Yamaha outboard in good working condition. The boat comes with a trailer and is equipped with a swim step. The asking price is $3200, though he may accept an offer.

Another ad features a Wellcraft cuddy cabin with a 150 hp outboard. Ad says the motor runs well. That one would definitely be suitable for taking out to the ocean in decent weather. They're asking $2999 obo.

These are just two examples. You can find some great deals there with a bit of searching. Just be aware that boats require a degree of maintenance. They need to be started up and run on a fairly regular basis.

Reactions: Jcoleman1
Another option would be an inflatable with floor boards. Advantages are , no trailer is necessary light weight easy to move around. Hassles are having to assemble each time you use it, say 20 minutes to set up and about the same to disassemble. Generally where boats are concerned if you see a boat that is normally 25 thousand advertised for 3000 you can expect some serious expenses coming your way. A ten to twelve foot balloon boat with a 15 to 25 horse outboard is a good way to get around and minimal maintainence. The hypalon inflatables like Achilles and Avon last a long long time.

I go to school in Tampa, FL and I’ll be getting a house next year. Which means I can store all my spear fishing gear now. With that I’d love to get a super cheap boat. Just something to get me out into the bay and maybe the ocean on a good, flat day. I see RIBs are pretty much what everyone recommends but from what I’ve seen they’re pretty expensive. Any suggestions?

What about Chris Craft boats if RIBs are too expensive? Those are very inexpensive and could be long lasting with a proper care that often is not easy to make sure of.

What about Chris Craft boats if RIBs are too expensive? Those are very inexpensive and could be long lasting with a proper care that often is not easy to make sure of.
As for me, you will spend more time caring for such a boat than using it. Such attempts to save on equipment are not only inconvenient, but also dangerous.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT