• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfisherman dies in Dubai

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

island_sands

Erection Supervisor ;)
Supporter
Jan 19, 2001
I received this sad news yesterday

Dubai resident American spearfisherman Andrew died while spearing yesterday. I don't have all the details, except that he was also a father. Can anyone confirm if it was Andrew Denison? :(

He lost his life to the sea while spearfishing at Mun island. He died due to Shallow Water Blackout and did not have a diving buddy close by.

Please please always freedive with a buddy, no matter your experience, never ever freedive alone. Please pass this on to your freediving friends, chasing that fish and putting your life at risk is not worth it.

"There are plenty more fish in the Sea".

RIP Andrew x my thoughts are with your family and loved ones x

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Reactions: Spaniard
RIP Andrew and sorry again for this may hid family b patient...

As discussed on Facebook it was him!!! I was to supposed to go with the guy but i were ill that day!!

thnx for ur notes about safety and this is what was my concern to tell my friends after starting my freediving courses specially we had earlier case of Belrimetha brother who was blackout 2 month ago...

Reactions: devondave
RIP Andrew and sorry again for this may hid family b patient...

As discussed on Facebook it was him!!! I was to supposed to go with the guy but i were ill that day!!

thnx for ur notes about safety and this is what was my concern to tell my friends after starting my freediving courses specially we had earlier case of Belrimetha brother who was blackout 2 month ago...

Dear Saleh, I wasn't aware it was Drew when I posted this. I have gone back into my email box and last June Andrew had signed up for a freediving course with me, but kept cancelling. His last couple of emails to me said:

" I've been reading up as much as I can online and giving it a go in the water."

"I've been getting out spearing 3-4x each month and have been seeing my times increase... I'm consistently hitting 1:30 to 1:45 underwater while actively hunting, so I'm sure in a strict free-diving discipline I could do much better."

So so sad.... :( RIP mate.

Apparently he got caught up in a fishing net and did not have a buddy close by to assist. In an email I have received it says:

"Drew was found caught in a lost fishing net by 17m depth after 3-4 hours research... I saw his body (...) his belt was still on, and knife holstered."

Take care out there you guys. The oceans in the UAE are filled with lost fishing nets, lines, lobster pots, wreckages. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
Hey Sarah strange how u got pics of him!!! Was his knife out or in the housing?
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey Sarah strange how u got pics of him!!! Was his knife out or in the housing?
Posted via Mobile Device

Saleh I did not get pictures. What I wrote above was from an email i received.

His death is being investigated and an autopsy is yet to happen.

Poor Drew. RIP

i am so sorry for him and his family and friends. rip.

I am happy I have come out on the right side of consciousness when getting the Samba on the surface...it could happen to any of us and a buddy does not always save you! The thing I have learnt to do is avoid pushing your limits when you are not with a line and safety divers.
RIP and my condolences to the family.

Alright guys this might be late, but i wasn't in the mood.

Drew was with me that day... on my boat... he was NOT a father!!! and he wasn't alone !!!

Drew and his buddy was resting on the rocks of Mun island when his buddy told him i'm tired i will change with the guy on the boat to come down and i go rest... Drew said ok to him... and the next thing Drew did is taking off alone for a small dive until the change happens... he had a buoy with him all the time EXCEPT that dive !!! he put it on the boat... and it was his last dive... he did NOT get caught in a net !!! he blacked out before he gets in the net !!! as the cost guard saw him covered under the net peacefully with no sign of struggle, his knife and belt not touched...

once i got the news that Drew is missing for 5min... we all stopped spearfishing and started looking for him.. After 10min nothing... I called the coast guard... knowing that they will arrive in 1H ... i told my friends we will go to the yachts by the island and ask for scuba divers .. and we did.. 2 super yachts where for 2 sheikhs... when they found out they went searching by themselves for him!!! But nothing... :( even the Sheikh’s privet helicopter arrived before the coastguard’s did... after 1H the costal boats arrived and did proper search and found him after 3H...

I guess this is what you need to know.. it is no ones mistakes.. he thought I’ll take this dive by the time my other buddy comes in… and it was the last dive…
So guys do NOT underestimate diving alone.. it is NOT a joke…

Reactions: Mr. X and devondave
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT