• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing around Izmir, Turkey

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sea-wolf

Feb 7, 2003
Hello friends,

Is there anyone who could give me some information on any spearfishing spots near Izmir. Any fish to be speared there?

Thanks in advance!

Dive safe,
Peter

Hey Peter,

Memo lives in Yzmir, but he has left for 6 months military service.

From my talks with him most places around there are good spots.

I will try and get some more info for you

Shane

Thanks a lot Shane,
I've read of Memo military service but I didn't know that he is from Yzmir.
Anything will be very appreciated.

Dive safe,
Peter

When I was in Izmir, we use to go to this secret place called Mayonesses. If you are with NATO you can ask the divers there where it is. I have personally seen bluefin tunas over there atleast in the 200 pound range just swimming from the shore. They also have their share of groupers, amberjacks, and spiny lobsters. I hope this helps.

i also heard about giant black groupers there, one of my frient cought 25-30 kg there. But nothing about bluefin.

Try Foca also and my all time favorite Turkish vacation place "Bodrum". I have to look for my old dive log to find out who the dive operator are in Turkey. I hope this helps.

Hello all,
Thanks for the info very much...

I forgot sth...
Do I need some documents, licenses, etc to be able to dive there.

Dive safe,
Peter

Cingene,
What do you mean by "If you are with NATO ". Whether our country is a NATO member or sth else...?

Peter

No no no, I thought you were with the NATO folks in Izmir. Most of your divers are over are affiliated somehow with the NATO group. I think this is because they are associated with the government therefore they have more access to restricted areas (there are a lot of areas which are restricted in Turkey) and if you have a buddy who is in NATO you have a better chance of going into this restricted areas which are not fished out. Other than that, you can go to Konak while you are in Izmir. Konak is the main market area. Ask where the dive shops are, tell them Marcos sent you (or maybe not):mute .). As in anywhere else in the world some of them are spearfishermen some are not. And go from there.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
First I have to correct one mistake, I dive near izmir but live in ankara. Aydin lives in izmir and he has more knowledge about the diving spots near the city. But I have to warn you that unless you get some special permissions spearfishing for a foreigner in turkey is illegal. Of course you can freedive as you like but if you hunt without papers and cought you will loose your equipment.

you can always drop a pm to aydin for more info on diving spots ;)
ps: bodrum is really a nice place near izmir :D

Originally posted by Memo
I have to warn you that unless you get some special permissions spearfishing for a foreigner in turkey is illegal. Of course you can freedive as you like but if you hunt without papers and cought you will loose your equipment. [/B]

I say, bit of a bother, that, what? The Turks have some lovely all wood motorsailers yer can charter for an inexpensive cruise around the Levantine coast, don'tcherknow, and bringin' a rifle along t'stalk boar by moonlight is one of the highlights of the trip! Pity a speargun can't be added to the safari.:waterwork

Spent some time in Bodrum a while back, Clear water, Cheap Beer, and friendly ladies :D

Hi all,

If you are interested in spearfishing in Turkey please welcome to Kekova area, Antalya (Mediterranean). We would be glad to provide you with all services, including transfer from the airport, licence for spearfishing, accomodations, spearfishing guide, etc.

Please visit our web site for more details Spearfishing & diving - KEKOVA TRAVEL

And do not hesitate to ask for a discount :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT