• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing backpack recommendation?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
I usually keep and transport my speargear in a big plastic box, with wetsuits in big blue Ikea bags, my weight belt and vest in another bag, my spearguns in a rod bag but it's all got too voluminous. So I'm looking for a more compact way to carry essential spearing gear in my car and on the walk-in to the sea shore.

I was sceptical about some of the diver backpacks by companies such as Beuchat and Mares - they looked too small. But a while back I saw a video by Florida Freedivers which featured such a backpack, I don't recall the brand but probably American and unavailable here. The backpack looked normal size but opened to fit full size fins, wetsuit, weight belt, mask, snorkel, knife, inflatable float, etc. with spearguns strapped to the outside. Impressive capacity. Although wetsuits for Florida are thinner and weight belts lighter.

Does anyone have such a spearing backpack that they'd recommend - or not recommend ? It would need to be heavy duty, I carry a lot of lead and pointy metal.

I'll chime in and just let you know what I use and what's been working for me. I use two completely different packs when doing shore dives or walking in. One is the Mares Mesh Elite. It's lightweight and foldable into itself. It folds into a small bag so it's easy to pack and it's not heavy in itself. The first thought I had was how durable is this going to be? I did some reinforcement sewing where the straps met the bag (did it just in case), but I've never had the bag tear or fail me. It carries more than any other backpack bag I have. I've used it for hauling gear and fish inside. It's my go-to bag for capacity and packing into my gear container. The bag is a bit loose feeling and fitting. So while it stretches to fit all sorts of things, if you place a lot of lead in there, it may sag at the bottom.

The second pack I use is my Banks Board, which may not be completely applicable here, but it works. Lately I've been choosing to use this board on my dives and it's made a world of difference which I won't get into since this is about packs. For walking in, it comes with backpack straps and I'm able to carry all my gear, including my gun, bungee-ed on. It's heavy and not as comfy. The benefits I get through use outweigh that.

Normally where I jump in from is not where I exit, so it's important for me to be able to hike things in and carry or pull with a float back. For the mesh bag, I just carry a dry bag and pull it back clipped to my float.

Reactions: Mr. X
I use the Beauchat backpack. It stores everything you mentioned PLUS has a handy connection system for a gun on the side. Solidly built.

Take a look at the Gannet Kit Bag. I think it is relatively new product for them but it looks incredible. It looks like a bag but it does have backpack straps.

I had a Beuchat and liked it but my fins didn't fit in all the way so I couldn't zip it closed. You have to watch that when you but one. I ended up giving it away and switching to carry bags: one for gear and one for guns.

I have the Mako spearguns backpack. It is pretty strong, and fits full fins, wetsuit etc.
The issue I often bring a camera with a small housing, GoPro etc and the mako backpack is a bit tight if you bring those extras. I also don’t like that the interior is all black. I prefer bags with a bright interior that allows me to see small dark stuff.
Maybe i will use more when it is 3mm wetsuit weather. As the wetsuit would take less space

I use a Gonex orange bag, that I bought on Amazon. It has backup straps, you can clip your float externally, and has zippered compartments under the flap for small stuff.
I can put my pneumatic gun (70 cm) and slightly shorter Seac fins (80cm). Or I could use bungee cords for the full foot fins and keep them outside the bag. I am really happy with the bag as it is visible and spacious.
It is a bit of a copy of a north face/Patagonia duffel bag but less than half the price.

I saw scubastore has a large waterproof cressi bag 135 liter capacity.
the handles can be used as backup straps, it is all black, and has a purge valve. It was about $62.
I was tempted but it lacks any internal mesh pockets for the small stuff.

you could also get some cheap Mares mesh bag, I see them on eBay for little, used. They have no structure and they fold small.

I put my masks, snorkel, gloves etc in a small snorkeling bag.
Salvimar / Fluyd also has a lightweight bag for long fins where you can store a speargun, a wetsuit and mask, snorkel etc.

I usually have to walk almost 3 km round trip where I dive from the parking lot.
I used to wear my weight belt on my hips, but it wears the bag, so mow I put the weight belt on my shoulders.

I usually keep and transport my speargear in a big plastic box, with wetsuits in big blue Ikea bags, my weight belt and vest in another bag, my spearguns in a rod bag but it's all got too voluminous. So I'm looking for a more compact way to carry essential spearing gear in my car and on the walk-in to the sea shore.

I was sceptical about some of the diver backpacks by companies such as Beuchat and Mares - they looked too small. But a while back I saw a video by Florida Freedivers which featured such a backpack, I don't recall the brand but probably American and unavailable here. The backpack looked normal size but opened to fit full size fins, wetsuit, weight belt, mask, snorkel, knife, inflatable float, etc. with spearguns strapped to the outside. Impressive capacity. Although wetsuits for Florida are thinner and weight belts lighter.

Does anyone have such a spearing backpack that they'd recommend - or not recommend ? It would need to be heavy duty, I carry a lot of lead and pointy metal.
Hi, you have many options in the market. Cressi, Riffe or Rob Allen offer very good alternatives if you are looking for a dry backpack in the 70L-80L range. In my case I prefer backpacks and purchased a Reef Reaper bag that unfortunately is no longer available (as far as I know), I tried to order another one and can't find it anywhere. Hope you find this useful. Stay safe out there!

the Beuchat is like a large crocodile and swallows everything including big towel, 7mm suit, carbon fins, weights, mask, water bottles, buoy. A speargun could be fixed to the outside.

i have a SporaSub Dry Backpack that is quite big, tough and I am extremely happy with it. I even use it sometimes as a travel backpack on the plane or as a beach bag :). I wrote a review if you want to read it: http://swissspearo.blogspot.com/2015/09/review-sporasub-dry-backpack.html . A friend bought one from Salvimar and I think he is happy with it too.

i have a SporaSub Dry Backpack that is quite big, tough and I am extremely happy with it. I even use it sometimes as a travel backpack on the plane or as a beach bag :). I wrote a review if you want to read it: http://swissspearo.blogspot.com/2015/09/review-sporasub-dry-backpack.html . A friend bought one from Salvimar and I think he is happy with it too.
I find the issue with that kind of backpack is that if you have something at the bottom you need to pull everything out from the top. The black interior does not help. For large bags a u shaped horizontal zipper is best to have good access. The beuchat/mako backpack allows better access. I would always also bring inside a thin dry bag to separate the wet and dry stuff.
with the beuchat / make you cam definitely bring one kit on you.

I use the Cressi Drybag. It’s massive and really solid. Holds all my gear easily. Wetsuits, weights, fins gun food water etc. Has comfortable straps and just does the job perfectly.

I find the issue with that kind of backpack is that if you have something at the bottom you need to pull everything out from the top. The black interior does not help. For large bags a u shaped horizontal zipper is best to have good access. The beuchat/mako backpack allows better access. I would always also bring inside a thin dry bag to separate the wet and dry stuff.
with the beuchat / make you cam definitely bring one kit on you.

Yes, I see what you mean. I guess it depends on your usecase. Personally I load all my gear inside, I get to the spot, I unload, put on my wetsuit, & gear, stick my cloths onside the now empty bag, close the bag tight and roll it up, stick it on my Best Hunter Okipa II Float (or in the car if it is close to the water's edge) and hop in the water. So I don't really need to open it anymore but I need all my gear to fit in and my cloths to stay dry. Once I am done it is the same in reverse and my we gear does not make the car wet!).

The Beuchat is good too if what you need regular access and you don't have much gear. In mine I fit my dive buddy's gear too.

Reactions: Mr. X and stefpix
Yes, I see what you mean. I guess it depends on your usecase. Personally I load all my gear inside, I get to the spot, I unload, put on my wetsuit, & gear, stick my cloths onside the now empty bag, close the bag tight and roll it up, stick it on my Best Hunter Okipa II Float (or in the car if it is close to the water's edge) and hop in the water. So I don't really need to open it anymore but I need all my gear to fit in and my cloths to stay dry. Once I am done it is the same in reverse and my we gear does not make the car wet!).

The Beuchat is good too if what you need regular access and you don't have much gear. In mine I fit my dive buddy's gear too.
The mesh and side pockets are useful for me to keep GoPro screws, spare keys, snacks etc. I also appreciate a bag where I can clip my float externally. Light or bright interior works for me much better than black.
everyone has different needs.
my favorite bag is not enough for full length fins, and I use a 70 cm pneumatic that fits in the bag and use the Seac Talent fins that are 10 cm shorter than full size fins.

the 80 liter model I got with backpack straps seems not available anymore.
there is a new model that has no interior mesh compartments, no backpack straps, but it is slightly longer and has long straps that can be used as a backpack.
Amazon product

But the new model below could work.

Amazon product

Came across this novel dry bag float combination. Looks pretty cool. Omer had something similar but smaller and, I think cheaper a few years ago. This is fairly expensive but looks more substantial than cheaper floats.

Came across this novel dry bag float combination. Looks pretty cool. Omer had something similar but smaller and, I think cheaper a few years ago. This is fairly expensive but looks more substantial than cheaper floats.
interesting! I'd be interested in hearing a user's experience with it.

I have been using a Berghaus Cyclops Crusader rucksack to carry my wetsuit etc for years now. It has two flat interior Titanium plates which criss cross making carrying a heavy load easier, the rucksack and was initially designed for Royal Marine Commandos. My spear gun is carried using the exterior strapping through the trigger guard at the top of the rucksack and strapped in tightly at the bottom using the same multiple exterior strapping which comes typically with a military rucksack, the side pouches are great for snorkel,mask, floatline etc The rucksack cost me £55 second hand on Flebay roughly about fifteen years ago after looking for the best rucksack options for carrying heavy loads and i would get the same rucksack again if and when i need to replace in years to come. It suits my requirements but equally it might not suit everyone.

Last edited:
I’ve got the cressi gara dry bag.

does the job, about £60.

the only thing I don’t like is the gun attachment points are a bit flimsy so your guns will flop about a bit on a walk in but it will take all your kit inside with guns and fins on the outside. There’s some reviews on it and it’s surprising how much you can get in it. Just one main compartment though so no little pockets.

I like a dry bag over anything else primarily for keeping wet kit off my van interior

Reactions: Mr. X and Brochman
I’ve got the cressi gara dry bag.

does the job, about £60.

the only thing I don’t like is the gun attachment points are a bit flimsy so your guns will flop about a bit on a walk in but it will take all your kit inside with guns and fins on the outside. There’s some reviews on it and it’s surprising how much you can get in it. Just one main compartment though so no little pockets.

I like a dry bag over anything else primarily for keeping wet kit off my van interior
You can get water proof rucksack/back pack liners, they are very cheap and make your rucksack into a dry bag if you wished to do so in the future.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT