• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing charters in Malta

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

divinu

Nov 30, 2009
Hi guys, first of all let me introduce myself properly. I'm Jamie but people call me the divinu here. I'm 21 years old from the small island of Malta. We are a group of students with a common passion: spear fishing.

Recently we are thinking of a business opportunity of setting up a spear fishing charter business in Malta where we take foreign and Maltese spear fishers to some of the best spear fishing places in Malta. At first we didn't take it too seriously but when we were given an assignment at University to try and set up a business we tried to give it a go. So right now we are trying to gather information of whether spear fishers abroad would consider coming to Malta for such a holiday charter.

For now this is only an assignment but if feedback is good this could definitely change!!

There will be two types of charters, being

The shallow water charter,
For novice people with a working depth of 15m
The target fish can be any but mostly it is all about breams, brown meagre, small amberjacks, mahi mahi(dorado), octopus, and others

Deep water charters
For the more adventurous and capable apneists starting from 15m onwards.... the reefs for this specific type of fishing inhibit some of the great snapper, amberjacks and groupers.

With both type of charters the group will be offering a free jigging session on the same day.

Charters may not be made up of more than 3 people, and per day, only a 2 charter capacity exists. This restriction is for safety reasons.

Top class Equipment like fins (we use exclusively C4 fins), spear guns(wooden totem sub guns), weights ect. may be given but as you know, this is not just something you wear on and can use, there is a process to learn using your own equipment.

And importantly, charters will be accompanied by 2 people, namely a boat man and an apnea academy qualified instructor. Prices will be moderate and any catches shall be kept by the clients.

Would you be interested for such an offer??? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Divinu

Hi Jamie, sounds like an interesting project :)
do you think that the benefit of using a spearo company (rather than just hiring a boat) is that you can take people to the fish? what are the other benefits or reasons why people would hire?
what about the ethic of a spearo holiday - do people eat fish every day when on hols(unlikely perhaps)? So what about incorporating apnea training / AIDA courses for additional options/value? Also perhaps you could emphasise the photo opportunities besides spearing.
Is spearfishing in Malta recognised and popular - otherwise perhaps you would receive animosity for such a commercial venture? are there any existing companies doing this?
how about changing the 2 course names - if you imply that novices go to 15m and experts beyond 15m, then you may lose the interest of those experienced apneists that dont go deep.
Only 3 people = pretty small boat (for economy) so is that really a good business model? perhaps a larger 12m cat with 12-14 people would be more viable. I guess that the bubble blower charter companies would be able to provide a good insight for this - must be many similarities, but perhaps there are more scubbies than apneists.

Reactions: foxfish
jonny250, thanks for the feedback

the depth capability, like you rightly pointed out depth is not something that defines a spearfisher, but an apneist yes

for safety reasons, the number of passengers is on the low side. apeists are not like scuba.. and in fishing in particular... a lot of action and people= more disturbance and vibrations=less fish. We would consider a larger boat if we were taking people for big game fishing but not for apnea.

also, it is relatively easy to monitor the client during his descent and ascent. in particular, there will be strict monitoring continuously through hearth rate- thanks to nem* apneist wrist watches that the company will assume to provide.

to date, spearfishing is new in malta. there are no restrictions whatsoever in malta. As regards to photo opportunites, well Malta is full of wonderful panorama and views both above and under water. You might say this is the usual gibberish companies use to appear unique but trust me the sites we visit in Malta are one of a kind. And to the uniqueness...well I believe we should be the first or 2nd company to have attempted this in Malta.

Hi Divinu, welcome to db.
Sounds like an exciting project but fraught with responsibility!

Welcome from Texas! When I win the lottery...(what about liability waivers and insurance????) Good luck!

Reactions: octopus
Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Feedback you'll get. :D

I am interested in someone getting me to/from a spearing spot in a boat.

I have my own gear, except weights.
I do want to sign the waiver, I do not want any of your gear (including the wrist watch) and I do not want the course. I do not mind other spearos on the boat, as long as they do not charge the guns while in the boat. It would also be great if the licence could be bought directly through your future company.

The best arrangement I had was in Cape Verdi.
I went every morning spearing with a local fisherman in his boat. We would both spearfish, while the third guy would stay in the boat. I paid for his fuel and I paid for his profits. He is very decent chap and was in dire need of some gear, so I left him some of mine. I would take enough fish for me to eat and everything else was left to him.

Here is an example of such enterprise:
BaliSpearFishing.com | Welcome to Bali Spear Fishing Community

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: agbiv
Hi Jamie,I am English but grew up in Malta, known as the english xlokkirr.I think in the loosest possible terms your idea is a good one.I for one would definately come out with you boys maybe a Filfla trip?I wish you all the best in your endeavours.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT