• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing - Dangerous Situations!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

spearfishinglog

George Pavlides
Apr 6, 2011
Always expect the unexpected.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d13kRnTggo]‪Spearfishing - Dangerous Situations!!‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

I nearly got mowed down by a Jet ski last night.
Tourists in speed boats tend to ignore the Buoys/ Floats regardless! I'm sure they think they're just crab pot markers etc. I find if you point the spear gun at the passing traffic that tends to make them 'back off' ; )
Perhaps next generation floats will need a strobe light mounted on the top..............

Its a very delicate subject but if a boat or ski goes over or to near to you(with surface marker) intentionally or unintentionally they are trying to kill you. if you are seen defending your life with a unloaded or loaded speargun I have no doubt who will get more shit off the local authorities! Ive allways wondered what a spear would do to a passing ski or boat and it prop would it go stright through the bottom off the hull and in to the brainless driver?

A really good boat deterant is a coil of yellow poly line with some floats. Tie your dive flag to the end of a 50' yellow poly floating line with a dozen small orange floats. Boaters should see the hazard and avoid it, if not they will be begging for you help when it tangles their prop.

Alaskaseahunter

Ofcourse i had a float in the water as well as my partner on the surface and also my boat anchored really close!

Scary indeed.
I used to have a torpedo bouy but the dam thing was like a magnet for boats. They would allways come in too see what was going on. One day I got pulled up because the guy thought it was an abandoned crab pot. You can imagine his suprise!

Anyways I stopped using it because it was too dangerous. Now I hear people go "ohh look a seal!" and "dont go to near it or you will scare it away". I feel much safer actually. I just check for boats carefully before going down, and leave enough air to get back up safely and listen for those props. Rowboats are scary though. The most scary however is drunk boat operators, anyways my advice is never trust anyone to know what they are doing at sea 90% have no clue about rules or regulations. Stay safe!

I nearly cracked my head on a sea-kayak while surfacing a few weeks back - that was a bit scary!

Worst in Italy, some places are basically too dangerous during summer due to the presence of two many weekend boat driver.

I Find jet skis to be the worst. They approach so quickly and are hard to hear under water. They seem to be attracted to the buoys at they use them for rounding circuits! There's Definitely a requirement for a new buoy design.

I Find jet skis to be the worst. They approach so quickly and are hard to hear under water. They seem to be attracted to the buoys at they use them for rounding circuits! There's Definitely a requirement for a new buoy design.

One with a proximity sensor ready to explode.
actually even if you make it bigger or somehow more visible ( thought about one with an helium balloon attached) the real issue is people education: you'll always find someone with a silly excuse to come to close. In Italy the main issue is the fact no one is enforcing the rule. No one gets fined therefore logically no one cares.

I would LOVE to know how that conversation went!!! Please share!!

I remember clearly that he had glasses and a mustache.

I think we where both in shock. I only remember he mumbled something about he didnt get as much crab as normal. And I felt like I was being accused off emptying his pots. But we parted quickly and I thought he was weird for not mentioning the fact that he just pulled me up from the bottom. But to each his own I guess

*Edit*
Also I will mention that I have tried using other things than a float, me and my buddy tried using a small cheap rubber dingy. But that caused people on the beach to think we had fallen out and where in trouble. So that didnt work either. As it is now I have lost all trust in peoples judgement. I dive with no float in a camo suit and I have painted my boat black so when it's placed near the rock coast its nearly invisible. And for me in my area (Norway at the moment) its working better than any of the other things I have tried. Its sad really. When I dive in Africa I have my dog sitting on the beach defending my flip-flops, the locals dont care what is floating around in the water and tourists connect the dots when they see the dog pointing in my direction. Its all about adapting to circumstance I guess

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…