• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing diving-club-type holidays sought by newcomer...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

geordieden

Mar 11, 2006
Greetings from Geordieden:). I've been spearfishing for over 20 years and still have to be dragged out of the water! Want to go on diving club type holidays for spearfishing. Live in NE England but spend a lot of time in the Bahamas for the spearfishing. Surely there must be clubs organising holidays for nutters like me:confused: Anyone interested or can suggest any good leads please let me know. Cheers.

Hi Geordi I am sure you will come across plenty of like minded spearos on DB. You will be welcome to spearfish with me in Guernsey.

Hi, I believe Nomad66 is in your neck of the woods. I occasionally visit York-- haven't speared the Yorkshire coast yet but will probably try it at some time; that's about as far north as I usually get. For organised trips & holidays, you might want to try contacting the International Club in London -- Paul Maxwell posted on thread on it today or yesterday. They also have guided trips to exotic climes all over the world.

Hi Geo, welcome to DB

When you are in the Bahamas, where and when? I get over to the northern Bahamas usually 2-3 times a summer, Bimini, Abaco, north end of Andros, Berries. Often room for another diver.

Connor

foxfish said:
Hi Geordi I am sure you will come across plenty of like minded spearos on DB. You will be welcome to spearfish with me in Guernsey.
:)Wow, jackpot first try, this site is amazing! I may well take you up on the offer - in the summer? - now where the hell is Guernsey.....

Geordieden

Reactions: foxfish
Mr. X said:
Hi, I believe Nomad66 is in your neck of the woods. I occasionally visit York-- haven't speared the Yorkshire coast yet but will probably try it at some time; that's about as far north as I usually get. For organised trips & holidays, you might want to try contacting the International Club in London -- Paul Maxwell posted on thread on it today or yesterday. They also have guided trips to exotic climes all over the world.

:)Good stuff especially the Nomad66 ref - I'm moving to North Yorkshire area and see he's into kayaking too. Also saw your interest in same. I use a very basic rig here (Bahamas) and can be launched in about 10 minutes - always assuming my pal's kayak is available.... I tow a cut-down 45 gallon tub to stow my gear in in case of capsizing - came in very handy once....

Geordieden

cdavis said:
Hi Geo, welcome to DB

When you are in the Bahamas, where and when? I get over to the northern Bahamas usually 2-3 times a summer, Bimini, Abaco, north end of Andros, Berries. Often room for another diver.

Connor

:)Currently in South Andros where the diving is world class but almost totally untapped. I'll be back here for a month before and then after Xmas unless somerhing better comes along. Bought a whaler in N. Andros once but not impressed with diving there - all the fishermen head south...

Until joining this site I was considering joining the SFSC to get on dives like you describe and I'm interested to know more about your trips. Any contacts for Greece as I'm spoilt by the good viz and warm waters...

Cheers
Den

sd_spearhead said:
geo, welcome to db - if youre ever out in so cali, let me know!

Thanks for the welcome. Checked out your posted strings and see you are as impressed as me with this amazing site. Can’t help directly re where to dive but you’ll find the search engine a big help. Good luck.

foxfish said:
This is the rig I told you about and the crawfish with two shells.

Attachments

• kayak and reef on horizon.JPG
    kayak and reef on horizon.JPG
    300 KB · Views: 181
  • crawfish with two shells.JPG
    crawfish with two shells.JPG
    351.6 KB · Views: 180
Reactions: Mr. X
Hey Geordi,

Sorry for the delay, I missed your post.

How in the world did you find access to South Andros. That is really back of beyond. I've looked at the charts for years and never found a way to get there. Where do you stay and where exactly are you diving and what depths? All spearing or a lot of sight seeing? What kind of shape is the coral in?

My boat is a 24 ft I/O (Seabird). Dives 4 and sleeps 3 comfortably. I can feed 4 no problem. South Andros would be an extremely long trip for me, but not impossible, especially if there were a reliable place to leave it for a month or so.

cdavis said:
Hey Geordi,

Sorry for the delay, I missed your post.

How in the world did you find access to South Andros. That is really back of beyond. I've looked at the charts for years and never found a way to get there. Where do you stay and where exactly are you diving and what depths? All spearing or a lot of sight seeing? What kind of shape is the coral in?

My boat is a 24 ft I/O (Seabird). Dives 4 and sleeps 3 comfortably. I can feed 4 no problem. South Andros would be an extremely long trip for me, but not impossible, especially if there were a reliable place to leave it for a month or so.
No worries re delay and I'll be off line for a few days myself travelling...

I get here by plane from Nassau and used to teach here over 16 years ago. It was then that I got hooked on spearing and.... it has hardly changed in over twenty years and accommodation can be pretty basic - example no hot water where I have been staying so “cold showers” - wait till midday and it’s fine... not for the ladies!

Not sure if bringing your boat a good idea and anyhow some new direct flights from Florida started up in the last few weeks - or charter?. I leave tomorrow but have pals here who could organise a safe mooring but suggest you wait till I get back in Oct/Nov when I’ll be starting another 2 month stint. You could come over for a week to make sure you like the place before bringing the boat methinks . Depending on where I stay you could chip in towards expenses if there was a spare room - or I could get you something more fancy? The water will be warm enough then as it’s been fine the last 2 months and I’ve not needed a wetsuit.

Not much sightseeing on land but there are plenty of bars with character and there is a budding live music scene that I revel in. I’ve been diving close in dragging the tub I tow behind the kayak - see pic - great exercise but only shallow water. Have dived past the barrier reef from a kayak or speedboat in 40-50 feet and thats brill - the “Tongue of the Ocean” is 6000 feet deep and comes within a few 100 yards in places if that’s your thing. There is no air here as far as I know and anyway it is illegal to use tanks while spearfishing. It is also illegal to use spearguns and the gear I use is the local stuff shown in pic.

The reef is in excellent condition:inlove and best seen at night as are the blue holes - interested? this really gets the heart rate up I can tell you. Not a good idea to spear although crawfish is fine as the sharks are not interested - open season August 1 to March 31st.

Attachments

• sling and spear.JPG
    sling and spear.JPG
    385.2 KB · Views: 196
Reactions: foxfish
Almostafish said:
Try http://www.europeanspearfishingsupplies.com/ and tell them Bryn from Portland sent you. Are you up to it?? Enjoy.

Thanks for the info Bryn. I have a pretty full schedule over the next few months and the pennies are a bit stretched but good stuff if I rob a bank...:)

Any ideas where I can get "Caribbean type" 6mm sprung steel spears in Europe? I am versed in the use of spearguns and not sure I'd want to give up the skills that I've learned.:confused:

Try Dave at www.spearo.co.uk he should b able to tell you where they can be found. You could always have a trip down here to sunny Portland ( Easy jet fare is about 27p.. flying into Bournemouth) and I can show you some nice sites. have fun. B

Almostafish said:
Try Dave at www.spearo.co.uk he should b able to tell you where they can be found. You could always have a trip down here to sunny Portland ( Easy jet fare is about 27p.. flying into Bournemouth) and I can show you some nice sites. have fun. B
Thanks for info and invite.:) I've e-mailed Dave re spears and hope to take you up on your offer some time re Portland but things hectic at moment as buzzing off again tomorrow.

Hi Geordieden.
If you want to come over to North Cyprus some time the fishing here is fairly good at times, the tuna and AJs are about in September if you want some blue hunting, otherwise we do wreck and cave with some trawl(floating and finning along the coastline) for a few km and get picked up at the end. warm seas and great vis and stuff to look at as well as kill.

Peter.

Groupermadness said:
Hi Geordieden.
If you want to come over to North Cyprus some time the fishing here is fairly good at times, the tuna and AJs are about in September if you want some blue hunting, otherwise we do wreck and cave with some trawl(floating and finning along the coastline) for a few km and get picked up at the end. warm seas and great vis and stuff to look at as well as kill.

Peter.

Not keen scuba/blue hunting or caving but the other sounds superb.I'll be in touch. You'd probably like getting down blue holes if you are into caving? What about night dives? Cheers Den:)

geordieden said:
Not keen scuba/blue hunting or caving but the other sounds superb.I'll be in touch. You'd probably like getting down blue holes if you are into caving? What about night dives? Cheers Den:)

Hi Den. Not a bubble blower either:) , i meant we hunt in small caves for Grouper and on wrecks for AJs and Stripped Grouper(Freedive :martial Spearfishing) illegal here to hunt on tanks. but the offer still stands. as for night diving, i believe all the companys that deal with dive schools do night dives.

Peter.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT