• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing Engineering Survey

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

nemO_Owen

Sep 16, 2019
Hello DeeperBlue,
My name is Owen, I am in high school doing an engineering project on water clarity. I have just a couple of questions that would help with my partner and I building a product for everyone here. We need help to find out details. Please answer your own personal opinion.

1. What is your most frustrating part of spearfishing?
2. Is predicting water clarity a problem for most spearfishers?
3. What is the average amount of spearfishing sessions you do a week?
4. If you could have an app for measuring water clarity or look on a cam would you?

If you have any other details that you think would be helpful just respond.
Thank You

An app for water clarity would be awesome for any activities in the water - spearing, fishing, swimming, diving, beach going.

hello Owen. My name is Andrew.

1. To me, there is nothing "frustrating" in this sport, wrong choice of a word.

2. Water clarity is predictable here in British Columbia. It is clear in winter and poor in summer due to plankton bloom. But then, plankton is only blocking first 5-7 meters, below that water is clear year-round. Predicting a water clarity is not a problem because this will not stop me from going fishing.

3. Sometimes daily for a few months, some other times it is once a month.

4. No

It's a nice idea, potentially useful but I see some practical real world problems:

Visibility can be very localised. Swim a bit further out and sometimes things clear up. Sometimes you can dive under the bloom for better visibility.

The 3 causes of poor visibility I'm most aware of are Spring bloom sometimes in the spring. Presumably plankton. Rough seas, usually associated with winds . And thirdly, rain-caused run-off into the sea and rivers that feed into it. Maybe weird oily residue from seaweed sometimes?

The sea can be an extremely harsh environment sometimes. Huge waves; big, hard debris (boulders, rocks, pebbles, planks, branches, tree trunks, metal, fibreglass); soft messy seaweeds; plastic junk.

The weather for the days preceding dive day and on the day itself it a pretty good indicator of visibilty. Doesn't help with Spring bloom though. I already consult GB wind map for a few days before diving if I am concerned about visibility. I occasionally look at beach cameras to check how rough/smooth the surface of the sea is. So it could be another useful tool.

Lack of fish can be a problem. A camera could probably see them too ;)

I dive a couple of days a week on average. I live on the coast & can check the sea conditions & watch the weather , after four decades It isnt hard to guess the visibility. If I wanted an even simpler or lazy way to get up to date visibility & a condition report I'd join one of the many facebook pages in my area which receive regular updates , usually within the same hour the diver was in.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT