• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing entry in Wikipedia

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
I came across this[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spearfishing"] Wikipedia entry for Spearfishing[/ame] (Wikipedia is a free on-line encyclopedia). I was surprised at the level of detail. It includes a link to DeeperBlue.net & references Len Jones' booklet & Terry Maas' book. Cool image of Cameron Kirkconnell with his massive Dogtooth Tuna.

Interesting link to FADs...worth reading ;).

(Any DeeperBlue regulars contribute to the entry?)

Last edited:
Hello Mr. X. I saw that a few days ago, very cool. Reading that lead me to wonder what Encarta has on it, sitll hav'nt checked it out though. Good idea to post it!

Regards,

wow this is amazing! i was just looking at that entry and then i came here and here is a thread on it! very coincidental. but yes i read it and i found it to be interesting. i love wikipedia also, i go there for information and facts on everything.

"Sharks are like dogs, if you cower from a bad dog, he will bite you, however if you stand your ground with a big stick, you can usually back him down."

rofl rofl rofl

Good old wikipedia has its uses. But lets hope that newbies dont just jump into sharky waters expecting to get a welcome reception eh?!

You mean the big stick won't work?:confused: Gulp!rofl

the entry on freediving is also very good and actual. i wish i had it when i started. i would've saved many hours of net surfing.

Last edited:
Mr. X said:
I came across this Wikipedia entry for Spearfishing (Wikipedia is a free on-line encyclopedia). I was surprised at the level of detail. It includes a link to DeeperBlue.net & references Len Jones' booklet & Terry Maas' book. Cool image of Cameron Kirkconnell with his massive Dogtooth Tuna.

Interesting link to FADs...worth reading ;).

(Any DeeperBlue regulars contribute to the entry?)

I updated the entry last month, added pretty much most of it except the Hawaiin tips and the introduction which was already there. I had some time on my hands between jobs.... I felt a bit strange writing about blue water hunting having never done it myself, but its an important aspect of the sport and needed to be in there.

For those that don't know, Wikipedia can be edited by anyone, so please check it out and update it if you feel there is anything left out.

Reactions: Mr. X
Konichiwa! Impressive entry Yugyug.

Welcome to the forum:wave, I came across a couple of your posts for the first time today. If you are spearing in and around Japan, hopefully you will share some insights into some different techniques, fish, equipment, culture, etc. in the future.

Well, I've only been here since december and its been a bit too cold for spearing BUT I am going tomorrow for the first time in like 3 months :D :) :cool: :thankyou :p ;) rofl :D :eek: send my reward for the most retarded use of smileys to brian peppers please

Last edited:
There are some other interesting topics in Wikipedia.

The Rip Current entry even has a cool animation: [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rip_current[/ame]

"Recognizing a Rip Current
There are signs to look for in the water to see if a rip current is present. Rip currents can be recognized by unusually calm waters, caused by the channel of water flowing out. The color of the water may be different from the surrounding area. Also, the waterline is lower on the shore near a rip current. It is advisable to look for the existence of a rip current before heading into the water."

This comes from the Tides entry:

"... the Bay of Fundy, on the east coast of Canada, features the largest well-documented tidal ranges in the world, 16 metres (53 feet), because of the shape of the bay. Southampton in the United Kingdom has a double high tide caused by the flow of water around the Isle of Wight, and Weymouth, Dorset has a double low tide because of the Isle of Portland. ...

There are only very slight tides in the Mediterranean Sea and the Baltic Sea due to their narrow connections with the Atlantic Ocean. Extremely small tides also occur for the same reason in the Gulf of Mexico and Sea of Japan. On the southern coast of Australia, because the coast is extremely straight (partly due to the tiny quantities of runoff flowing from rivers), tidal ranges are equally small."

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT