• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing for cod.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sunfish

Old Hippy
May 13, 2007
Scott Wilson mentioned looking for cod recently and it set me wondering if anyone had any tips for targeting cod. eg. is winter better than summer, what depth is best etc.
I know OMD has taken a cod before and Eric Smiths book, "No Sharks Today" mentions the Spanish diver Emengual taking a 20 pounder in the European championships in Ireland in 1974. Also Lee Deighton took a 7 pounder off Portland in a competition in 2006, as seen here-
http://www.underwaterfishing.co.uk/crystal clear/Crystal_Clear_Autumn_2006.pdf
So what's the verdict lads? Are they only caught by chance or is it possible to look for them?

That's a good haul for 'The Bill'. If i'm not mistaken, cod from Portland are taken from deeper water in holes, under ledges etc (big lungs required!). No chance for me, those tides need some serious navigation and respect, normally the domain of serious locals!...

Cod are greedy buggers, probably frowned upon by the purists but a handful of Lug in a small net bag on your belt will bring in any nearby fish. Use a similar technique to Bass

Reactions: Pav
Pete Crawford took a nice cod in a Portland comp. back in the late '90's - I understand it was in a 'secret' spot of his under some deep ledges - this was during Summer. Paolo de Michelis shot one around the same time frame during a Jersey comp. from St Catehrines Pier. In 'The Spearfishermans Handbook', it reckons that that cod generally only come inshore during the winter months and that wrecks and ledges off the Susex coast have provided good catches in the past. The way the poor buggers have nearly disappeared in the North Sea makes me wonder if any are still about?

Scott Wilson mentioned looking for cod recently and it set me wondering if anyone had any tips for targeting cod. eg. is winter better than summer, what depth is best etc.
I know OMD has taken a cod before and Eric Smiths book, "No Sharks Today" mentions the Spanish diver Emengual taking a 20 pounder in the European championships in Ireland in 1974. Also Lee Deighton took a 7 pounder off Portland in a competition in 2006, as seen here-
http://www.underwaterfishing.co.uk/crystal clear/Crystal_Clear_Autumn_2006.pdf
So what's the verdict lads? Are they only caught by chance or is it possible to look for them?

Very common to spear cod here. Rock cod will be inshore all year round... that's where they live. I wouldn't go chasing pelagic cod if you don't live near a known route. The norwegian guy's use scent to attract them... crush up some shore crab, shrimp, mussell etc. in a mesh bag. They usually wear the bag here but I'll bet it would be just as clever to sink it somewhere and dive directly down on it from time to time.

Chesil beach normally produces cod but you would be lucky to find one diving as this is a massive area.

The ledges at portland bill hold some cod and is were lee had his catch.As ben has said 18-23 meters and current big balls and lungs required.

I,m sure some of the in shore wrecks around devon and cornwall should hold cod.I've got a Christian Andre dvd where he shoots cod on the D-Day wrecks in normandy.

A major slice of luck also required.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT