• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing from a Thundercat / Zapcat

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Ron, I am surprised that more folk dont use thundercats they do seem like a good exciting option.
Re the plastic boats, there are considerable differences between alloy & plastic, the general feel of plastic is warm & forgiving but, mainly it is the sound!
Plastic boats are very quite in the water & generally give a softer ride.
However Rota moulded boats are heavy compared to other materials although you must bear in mind that you do in fact get two boats as they are always double skinned.
Thudercats are plentiful around this end of the world but most are X race boats with tiered engines. There is one for sale just down the road from me, no engine, for £500

Hi Foxfish I think I worded it badly with the aluminum vs plastic, I meant more on the saftey side that they are very similar as in they both have pontoons. I didn't look into them that much but I guess a plastic boat would need a slightly larger engine for the same speed?

I think it depends on the hull shape, the NZ built Mac (or is it Ensign now) have pretty flat bottoms in their smaller boats but generally speaking - yes they would need more power because ally boats are lighter.
I have a 15' polyboat but it has a V hull & only manages 25knots with a 50hp however you dont get beaten up in the same way you would in a flat bottom fast ally boat.
A lot to be said in favour of inflatable cats.....

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…