• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

spearfishing gloves

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

tinnedtuna

Jul 30, 2012
i,ve been looking on the net all afternoon trying to find some information on suitable gloves for winter in the uk i love the look of the cressi camo but they are only 2.5mm i,m just wondering if these would be to thin for the uk in winter or should i go for 5mm also the same with socks ,any suggestions welcomed

Heya bud I dive all year around in Dorset. For the summer I have 3mm rob Allen gloves with a suede palm (excellent for gripping fish). In the winter I use 5mm gloves as you need the extra layers. 5mm socks are fine for winter use just try to get open cell ones as they are just a little bit warmer, however they do wear through a lot easier so if your dive venues have a walk I would recommend getting some cheap crocs as these are ideal for protectin your socks, and they clip onto your stringer an float very well without much drag at all

Just my input

Well I'm not too sure tbh mate as last year I was using two sets of 3mm socks early winter, but I wouldn't recommend doing this as it was actually folder than one pair of 5mm socks because they trapped a layer of water between them so feet got cold. Then I had a really expensive set of yazbek ones from America which were very warm but I put holes in them after two trips. So I would recommend any open cell 5mm ones. Othree in weymouth do some decent immersion ones,
if not look at these
https://www.apnea.co.uk/index.php?cPath=140_148

Last edited:
i,ve been looking on the net all afternoon trying to find some information on suitable gloves for winter in the uk i love the look of the cressi camo but they are only 2.5mm i,m just wondering if these would be to thin for the uk in winter or should i go for 5mm also the same with socks ,any suggestions welcomed
Top Question!!!
I went through 3 pairs of Mares open cell 3mm camo socks and 1 pair of camo gloves in my first year and they are the biggest waste of money ever... so whatever you do don't buy them!
The problem with open cell socks is that no matter how many 'foot manicures' you have they still seem to cut/wear through the soft material every time you wear them.
I have a pair of [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Typhoon-Titanium-Stretch-Neoprene-Watersports/dp/B001THZPRG"]Typhoon Titanium Stretch V 5mm Neoprene Watersports Gloves XL/XXL Large Mens: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21AFdsGJzWL.@@AMEPARAM@@21AFdsGJzWL[/ame] which have lasted for 2 years and still going - but I've struggled to find a decent pair of socks which both fit my fins and keep my feet warm. I've definitely given up trying to 'keep everything camo' though.
Gloves & socks are so important so hopefully we'll get some good suggestions here... thanks for the thread tinnedtuna.

P.S. Some Freediving recommendations here
And D.I.Y here

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Scoobaru
Agree with you. The cheaper the better as they are both replaced regularly. The only reason I suggested open cell as the last thing you want when diving is cold feet, especially on night dives where it's hard to take your mind of being cold.

Good advice about the foot manicures aswel as that can save you a lot of money.

Scoobaru;894316 Good advice about the foot manicures aswel as that can save you a lot of money.[/QUOTE said:
Foot manicure was a bit tongue in cheek but clipping them before a trip is definitely a good idea. It's usually cold feet that send me out, even in the summer - after a good few hours admittedly, but still a constant irritation. The Freedivers recommendations I added above are worth thinking about and they should know with the depths they're going too.
The Omer's & the Spora's look good with the smooth skin making it easier to get fins on. But the Spetton's look the hardest wearing with the gold interior - 'horses for courses' I suppose? My fins are a bit tight so not sure if I'll actually get 5 mm on. I already take an age getting my fins on sweating and chuffing like an old boiler.
Somebody suggested to me wearing a pair of thin nylon socks under open cell socks to protect them, I wondered if anyone had tried this? Seems to me you might as well go for nylon interior socks anyway even if this does work - might save some money though?

Ive found that too tight socks or to thick for the footpocket can be quite counterproductive,Id rather have wellfitting /loose 3mm than pinching 5mm,Get a footpocket that is a bit on the largeside and compensate for looseness with finkeepers if neccesary.

Excellent advice about the footpockets an fin keepers. I wouldn't be without mine now after switching I softer footpockets. Like you say tight constricting socks will make your feet cold as they are restricting the blood flow to the feet

I have used cressi 3mm socks with open cell - found them warm in February, use the cressi 5mm gloves no probs but always get back in 3's as soon as possible. I have used 5mm socks but they cause cramps almost from the off - too tight with my fins i guess

Last edited:
Reactions: artiz
It's all personal preference really and how you deal with cold. I've dived when te outside temperature was -5 and water temp was around 0 I had 3mm socks with holes in and didn't mind it. But I will be using 5mm this year as that's what I've got at the moment. Your best bet would be to go to Othree or another wetsuit/dive shop with your fins and see if you can fit 5mm socks comfortably in your foot pockets. If yes and it's not too tight then I would recommend 5mm for winter use

Sound advice Scoobaru I would second that. On a personal level I'm an old bloke & feel the cold a bit more keenly so 5mm gloves all year round for me. I reckon I've suffered enough this year with holes in my open cells and old 3mm surf socks so I'm looking at the 5mm Spora's - but definitely not until this thread has run it's course. Having said that Robdigital has got me thinking with his point above. I may have the same problem as him - my fins are one piece so my socks really need to fit properly? I think I'll probably take Scoobaru's advice and take my fins where I can try 5mm before buying. Thanks again everyone (so far!) - you just can't beat sound advice, experience & discussion can you?

Glad I could help. Good luck with the sock hunting mate. Hope you find something that works well for you

Our water here is 5-10C depending on the time of year, I got a pair of Yazbeck 5mm gloves off the neptonic's store, and they have been GREAT. Way more durable than I would have thought and they fit well to boot, there is litterally no water ciculation as marketed and keep ya warm. Also I run spetton socks in 5mm, they are decent but fit bad/loosely around my ankles and leg as I'm a lean guy. They seem pretty durable, I've only been shore diving this year 2-3 times a week all summer, walking over huge barnacles all the time and only managed to put one cut in the heel. I'm in the water for 3-4 hours on average. Next pair will definitely be the Argon socks that Neptonics is selling, as every thing I've bought from them so far has been of great quality and fit.

Here's the gloves.
Spearfishing Gloves

Last edited:
right i,m off to 0three today to get some gloves and hopefully some socks and my missus is coming with me and hopefully i wot be bale to get 5mm socks on my cheapo mikes diving fins so hopefully i will be ordering some new fins as well { thats why i,m taking the bride so she doesnt get suspicious about me needing new fins } ,,a cunning plan me thinks baldrick

Reactions: Scoobaru
right i,m off to 0three today to get some gloves and hopefully some socks and my missus is coming with me and hopefully i wot be bale to get 5mm socks on my cheapo mikes diving fins so hopefully i will be ordering some new fins as well { thats why i,m taking the bride so she doesnt get suspicious about me needing new fins } ,,a cunning plan me thinks baldrick
You are obviously well versed in the 'essential' social/relational aspects of spearfishing tinnedtuna. Let us know how you get on and what you buy and obviously a report on actually using them would also be much appreciated. Luck & Light!

Hahaha pure brilliance. You definitely deserve rep for that

so i never got to othree something came up ,travelling through christchurch popped into a dive shop and grabbed a pair of oceanic mako 5 gloves ,i am replacing like for like as i have got holes in the other ones from pulling them off with my teeth { wont be doing that this time ,even though all the times i did it before i new it was causing problems but did it anyway ,this time i,ve gone a size bigger and they come off a lot easier uhm strange how if you get something the right size they tend to work better }anyway they didnt have any socks so i,m back to square one on that one but while i,m messing about with the gloves my missus is round the other side of the shop looking at a few guns and out of the corner of my eye i see her pick up a nice shiney cressi fin "babe check these out" yeah hold on i,m just trying these gloves on " trying to act as cool as a mvafka ,eventually i went round and she is still messing around with this fin ha and she has now got another one as well ,"look at these they are way better than those things you have got ,yeah i know but we havent got £100 to spend on a pair of fins, now i have just bounced the ball straight back at her and my heart is racing a bit "well" she says and thats it as far as i,m concerned ,they havent got any socks so why not go on the internet and find out if these are any good and if they are you might as well get some " are you sure about that ? yeah just get some but thats it then for spearfishing,uhm i remember you said something like that a few weeks ago when i got me a new cressi 5mm wetsuit ,oh bugger i picked up a new little knife as well and the girl has rung it up on the till now with the gloves ,so not a bad day at all and it was really good of missus to come up with the idea of a new pair of fins all on her own ,wadda girl ,right i,m off to start a new thread

Looks like you've got her well trained. I was gunna suggest explaining to her that with better/newer equipment it's less dangerous which means you can go to different venues which means there's a better chance of you coming home with fish for tea. But looks like you've already mastered the persuasion techniques

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT