• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in Alaska?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hello my far northern brothers,
I will be up there next year in Juneau. I was wondering what the water temps are up there in July? Thanks,
Kale

if you want to go and try some fishing try the crab fishing there that soundes good but appernly alot of work

Im an Alaskan as well, kinda new to the cold water spearfishing thing, although I've been hunting in Hawaiian waters off and on for the last 4 years and took Performane Freediving's intermediate freedive classs there this year. right now im just trying to get some gear together but i intend to be fishing by summer. I work on a boat based out of wrangell so it wouldnt be a far jump to POW if you want to meet up and do some fishing. i'll probably be doing a little diving in sitka sound too.

Satsqatch,
You may be pretty much on your own. Most of us are. Has AKSurfer responded directly to you?
We (AlaskaFreedivers) haven't heard from him in a while.
You should think about joining the AlskaFreedivers Yahoo webgroup. It's the best way to stay in touch.

Hey, thanks. no, i havent heard back from AKSurfer. thanks for the tip, i am already a member of the yahoo group. do you know of any other freedivers in the juneau area? i have a buddy i can dive with in sitka but he's barely more than a snorkeler which is a bit of a hinderance.

I don't know of any active divers down there. Ward Ward was an early member of the US Apnea Association with me. He's from Juneau, but I havaen't heard anything from him in several years.
The real problem is we're a pretty slim group. There's just not many of us up here!
Probably something to do with water temperatures and length of dive season.
I really feel for Dan Magone. He and his wife are pretty serious, but they live in Dutch Harbor, a VERY LONG way from the rest of us, and we're alaready a long way from most freedivers.
When I moved back up in 1998 I met the owners of the local dive shops. Get to know them and you will likely find a few closet divers (they only come out in Hawaii once a year) hanging around. A little enthusiasm can go a long way in spring.
One other source is that the son of a very good spearo from California may be stationed in Sitka in the Coast Guard. Write a question about Juneau/Sitka to the AlaskaFreedivers and you should get a response or 2.
And, feel free to send messages to the list about anything, including a sanity check once in a while. ; )
I'd love to get in the water in Sitka, but several hundred $ is a little steep for a day's diving. There are some really enticing areas around there, although the best looking ones require a boat.
Howard

Hello,
I am also new to SE Alaska and spearfished lots in Southern Africa but thinking of starting in SE Alaska. I did not know it is illegal in SE AK, so is the limiting factor the speartip, is it legal if it is a 3 prong spear tip?

It's only spearguns that are in limbo. That will change this next winter. Nobody is likely to stop you while using a gun, though. Most spearfishermen up here do use guns. It's mostly a technicality that needs to be fixed.
Pole spears (3-prong, slip-tip or fixed tip) and hawaiian slings are fine, and clearly legal.
For rockfish, which is what we mostly get, a pole spear is plenty, as ranges are short and the fish are not spooky.

I spear fish in petersburg the laws for the state of alaska that you can spear fish legally for subsistance use.

psg,

We can spearfish for anything in saltwater for suvbsistence, personal use, or sport. We got spearguns included as legal fishing gear 2 years ago. We csan't use bangsticks, and we have severe limits on freshwater (pole spears only, and only for pike in Mat-Su, the Anchorage Bowl, and the western kenai Peninsula.
I know very few divers spearing up here the last couple of years. Maybe there's more of you down in Southeast.

Kodiak is where it's at. All types of salmon, big lings, monster halibut, and many more. Everything can be found as shallow as 40ft at the right time of year

Pacheco,

Are you stationed at the Coast Guard Base? If so, talk to Vance Newby

So, did Vance finally get a thick wet suit?
I haven't heard from him in a while.
Tell him "hi" from Howard

he had to have one made last year but he got himself a 7mm Yazbeck. I'll tell him you said hi. he knew exactly who i was talking about when i told him somebody on here told me to find him to dive with.

My goodness! I am happy to have found 'Alaska Freedivers Association' and thank you for providing the link!
I do not expect much but I am here if anyone wants to go on a dive, or even better, a dive trip in SE!
I live in Haines, I have dived much of the coasts here (some gorgeous spots!)
Future plans: wrangell, ketchikan, sitka, and possibly gustavus/glacier bay
I have been diving about a year and a half. I would say I am an average diver, I generally stay above 40ft. I usually dont push myself, because I dive for fun/self discovery (and safety of course).

In the soon future (a year or two) I plan to have finished my house boat (freediving and house boat what a combo!)

Hey all, looks like this thread hasn't been active in a couple years, but I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm going to be based out of Homer, AK for the next couple of weeks and was going to see if anybody might still be around and want to go for a dive. I haven't been able to find much info about diving around Homer, so if any of you have insight that would be appreciated as well.

Cheers,

Brent

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT