• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing In Canada?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

wkndboy

Aug 25, 2004
Hello everyone. Well i'm back in canada after 2.5 years in greece working as a divemaster.... While I was there i became addicted to freediving and spearfishing and I'm wondering if there are any places in Canada to spearfish. I live in Toronto so places in Ontario would be nice. Anyone got any info?

Spearfishing is illegal in any form in ontario - sorry bud.

it is legal in other provinces, some more restrictive then others.

as far as i know....
when i was visiting canada and the "beautyfull british colombia"
i asked some pepole about it and also in bc its prohibited (am i right?)
note:
"all tidel waters within pacific rim national parc reserve are closed for scuba
and skin dive fishing for all species, all year"

" spearfishing for salmon,trout,char,sturgeon and most species of shellfish
is prohibited "

for more information you have to ask the fishery office in onterio
for the sport fishing guide and regulations
and for shore you will have to pay fishing licence
canada is a great nice place
eyal

Last edited:
it is legal in British Columbia, in both fresh and salt waters, but is very restrictive. the major gamefish (non-finfish) in tidal waters are legal (Ling Cod, Halibut, Flounder, Cabezon, etc). and yes, a fishing licence is mandatory in all provinces.

Last edited:
nice to know i will be in april in vancouver
and i think to bring all my gear with me
it will be nice if you will help me in showing were to spearfish and what
thanks for correcting my replay, most people in bc told me its ilegal :hmm
eyal

don;t get your hopes up - not much is in season in the vancouver area at that time and they have closed the ling cod/rockfish harvest for most of the lower mainland.
I keep a copy of the regs in a ziplock tucked into my wetsuit as even some of the Fishery Officers don't know that spearfishing is legal. I'd help you with locations but you'd have to come north a ways, maybe 16hr drive :D

thats not a problem :p
what about the water temp??
is a apnea beuchat 5.5mm suit in good??
thanks again
eyal

We went to some lakes in Mt Tremblant, but the fishes were small.
The best option that I have heard so far is to go to Rhode Island in the states.

There is supposed to be some lakes near in Qc that have better fishes, but dont know those lakes so far.

Cheers,

Roberto

There may not be any spearing, but we have freediving and also underwater hockey. Obviously not as much open water diving this time of year, but we've been meeting at a pool in Etobicoke on Mondays to practice dyanamic and to just generally get into the water.

Check us out at http://www.freedivetoronto.com/. If you're interested in coming out on Monday for freediving practice, or to UWHockey, email or pm me and I'll get you directions times ect.

Welcome back to Toronto!
Aaron

Toronto isn't very far from Quebec, and here, it's legal. There's good hunts to be done around Montreal. In fact, the St-Lawrence river is a tremendous spot for freshwater hunting. The problem is that from one day to an other, hunting conditions change dramatically. One day, water is very clear, fish everywhere, and the day after, brown water with not fish.

It's a bit like everywhere, but brown freswater is really hard to dive, but generally, the visibility's great (up to 30ft.)

You need a provincial license, and can't spear those: salmon (any kind, including landlocked salmon), musky, lake trout and sturgeons.

I do 3 1/2 hours of car each time I get there, and it worth's the ride. This is my closest best spot, so I don't have the choice: I'm addicted!

Rhode Island is farest, but Rhode Island is Rhode Island. Never too far..

We spearfish here in Alberta, with a restriction of not taking certain species of fish. Although, Sask. is close and spears can take anything a rod can.

Hi All,

Im heading up to Canada at the end of May. At this stage it looks like I'm heading to Vancouver island for the summer. I'm bringing my freediving gear and am keen on doin some diving while I'm there.
I hear you need a license to spearfish? and that there are certain seasons for different fish.
I'm from New Zealand where the rules aren't quite so restrictive so I'm going to be on a huge learning curve.
Are there any freedivers/ spearo's up there willing to sho a Kiwi the ropes? I don't need my hand held while I'm diving. I'm quite capable of diving 25-30m and am not scared of a little cold water.
I'll be wearing a 5mm picasso suit. Is this adequate?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Kieran

Where on the island? Patrick Dvoracek, Tony and Tyler are all on the island; Tony & Patrick in Victoria, Tyler in Tahsis...

5mm picasso should be fine.

Hi Eric,
I'm not too sure where abouts I'll be, though I think it will probably be in Victoria or nearby.

Hi everybody,
My name is George Balbino, a keen and experienced Brazilian spearfisherman living in London, UK. I will be visiting Vancouver shortly and would like to know what the spearfishing is like in the area. Depth is not a problem, so I am looking for a kind soul out there to shed some light on the spearing in the area, locations, operators, etc.
Any information is much appreciated.
Look forward to hearing from the forum.
Best regards,
George
P.s.: Please reply to georgebalbino@aol.com

I may have a connection for a live-aboard trip out of kitamat/prince Rupert this winter. if anyone is interested shoot me a PM. no idea on dates or cost yet, but putting out the feelers.

Might I also point out that Alec Peirce of Scuba 2000 in Richmond Hill runs spearfishing courses and trips.

Welcome to Toronto, by the way :)

I’m heading over to Toronto to see my GF in june or july, certainly want to explore the underwater there, not gonna be taking my gun, just camera, so if anyone wants to dive some places with me, or just tell me where to go, that would make me a happy diver. :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT