• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in Croatia

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

GoldenG

Mar 20, 2006
Hi.

My name is Tore and i'm from Denmark.

Me and some friends are planning a trip to croatia this summer.

We would like to go spearfishing, actually that's one of the reasons we're going on a trip, but we don't know any good spots in the country.

Our experience with the sport is about average

Can someone give us some advice, or links to websites where we can get information ourselves?

Hope somone can help us.

Tore

Before you start thinking about spots you should ask yourself if you can get sperafishing permit in Croatia. The Croatians have realy f**** up the permisions this year.

For the spots I would sugest the islands near Murter or Dugi otok (translates like Long island or so). Some of the best spots for spearing in Croatia.

GoldenG said:
Hi.

My name is Tore and i'm from Denmark.

Me and some friends are planning a trip to croatia this summer.

We would like to go spearfishing, actually that's one of the reasons we're going on a trip, but we don't know any good spots in the country.

Our experience with the sport is about average

Can someone give us some advice, or links to websites where we can get information ourselves?

Hope somone can help us.

Tore
Whell, any island far away from coast is good. You can get Spearfishing permit quite simple as i know, and i'm from Croatia.The price of permit is 20-50 euros, depending of time that permit is valid. But i dont suggest spearfishing in Croatia if you dont have a fast boat, beacuse some of islands are pretty far away from coast. Less people on island, more fish in sea.

Yeah it's easy for you to get the permits, but for outsiders it is not. You have to be a member of your national or the croatian sport fishing association to able to get the permit. Or something like that at least. What the problem is that it is a realy specific association that all countries don't have and its a bit difficult for somebody outside croatia to become a member of the croatian sport fisihing association.

SanSan said:
Yeah it's easy for you to get the permits, but for outsiders it is not. You have to be a member of your national or the croatian sport fishing association to able to get the permit. Or something like that at least. What the problem is that it is a realy specific association that all countries don't have and its a bit difficult for somebody outside croatia to become a member of the croatian sport fisihing association.

No! I red abouth permits for strangers, and if i understood them correctly that is price for permits. Tha validation is between 1 day and i think 30 days. And you dont have to be a member. I have to be because the permits are cheaper, and validation is one year and the price is 60 €. But i will check again and inform you.

Yeah look it up and you will see that everybody has to be a memeber and still after this strangers have other prices than croatian spearfishers and there is no way a stranger can get a year permit.
I know because we have had may problems with this in our club. As we could not become members of our national sport fishing association, we had to join a Croatian spearfishing club to become members of croatian sport fishing assciation to be able to buy the permits.
I wouln't recomend spearing without permits. The penalties are astronomical.

Yeah, you are right.
You could get permit if you are member of Croatian national sport fishing association, or any other country. I didnt say that stranger can buy a year permit. i never got penalty for spearing without permit, and i never had one. But maby police looks you diffrently if you are stranger , so i dont know.

Brac is pretty great on the back side further away from the populated places. You can spend some down time admiring the local fauna on Zlatni Rt when you need a break too. Croats have got to be some of the most beautiful people in the world.

I lived there for a year and went at least once a week if not more. I never got hassled, but then I would keep my head underwater when a boat came by JIC.

If you have a boat go to an un populated small island and you should see stuff. Tons of cuttlefish, octopus and mullet there.

Have fun there, it is one of my favorite countries! Enjoy some cevapci while you are there!

information on underwater fishing licenses in Croatia

http://www.dubrovnik-online.com/english/fishing.php
http://www.infoadriatic.com/did_you_know_06.shtml

from the last link.....
The permissions for current year (annual permissions) are given only to Croatian or foreign citizens with permanent residence. The daily permissions are given separately for fishing with angling and fishing tackle and separately for fishing with spear-fishing gun. The charges for daily fishing permissions with angling and fishing tackle are: 60HRK for one, 150HRK for three, 300HRK for seven and 700HRK for thirty days. The price lists of annual permissions are: 30HRK for children under 18, 60HRK for retirees and people older than 60 years and 400HRK for people from 18 to 60. The charges for spear-fishing are the same as for angling and fishing tackle. Spear-fishing gun can be used from dawn until sunset. It is strictly prohibited to use equipment which forces a person to stay in sea or under water against his or her will. It is prohibited to use artificial light. All the news and information regarding game fishing in Sibenik-Knin County can be received in harbour master's office, Tourist Boards and agencies.

there is also a link I found to an established spearfishing club in Croatia, Udica.

I reckon they would be a good bunch to contact re: any recent changes to Croatian law and for good spots.

I think I'll be in Croatia from about the 8th of August to 14th so if that corresponds to anyone else time there it would be cool to meet up and slay some fish :t drop me a PM

axbromley said:
Enjoy some cevapci while you are there!

This is just a warning! Please take it seriously!

Forget kissing or freediving for that day after eating "cevapi" rofl

BTW, "cevapi" aren't "cevapi" without extra onion :)
Beer is almost necessary with "cevapi" (Croatia has zero tolerance for driving under influence of alcohol (and drugs ofcourse)).

All this talking about "cevapi" made me want some... Gotta go out rofl

Whell, any island far away from coast is good. You can get Spearfishing permit quite simple as i know, and i'm from Croatia.The price of permit is 20-50 euros, depending of time that permit is valid. But i dont suggest spearfishing in Croatia if you dont have a fast boat, beacuse some of islands are pretty far away from coast. Less people on island, more fish in sea.

Dear Dino,

In a week I will be in your beautiful country for freediving.

Do you know if the buoy flags overthere is red with a white diagonal stripe?

Thanks
KK

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT