• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in Croatia.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

tonyiannu

Sealover
Oct 22, 2006
Hi guys,
I would like to go in Croatia for a holiday and I saw the sea is just wonderful. Do you know if there is any law restiction in that country or any recomandation about it?Thanks.

Hi, for spearfishing in Croatia first you must buy a fishing permit ( it covers not only spearfishing ). The one that is valid for a week costs approx. 40euro, for a month is 95 euro. You can buy it in anny local sportfishing club and it is valid on whole Croatian part of Adriatic sea. Restrictions are present in some areas of nature parks while on some of them you can go fishing but must buy addititonal permit. Dayli quantity of fish is 5kg. Anyway the person who will sell you the permit is obligated to inform you about the things you can/can't do. Be sure to use buoy while diving, but newertheless be extra carefull with small fast boats that are constantly speeding even very near the shore. This is all I can think of right now, hope it helps a bit.

Many thanks Marindiver for the helpful advises,40 euros aren't so much,the holiday is booked already and I looking forward to go.Hope to find a buddy to spearfishing with I'm going from the 26 of August till 4 of September.

Hi Marindiver,
do you know something about the buoy flag? What's the colour for it?
'cause there are different opinions?

Thanks

KK

Hi buddy,
have been in Croatia three times for snorkelling. Go to Hvar or Vis are wonderful islands.

Best,

KK

Hi Kinky, as for buoy flag : it should be red with white diagonal stripe, this is for freediving, for scuba i dont know for sure but I heard that scuba diver in decompression stage must be specialy marked.
Hvar and Vis are endeed beautifull, but so are manny other islands in Croatia. For succsesfull spearfishing durring turist season one must look for places away from well populated areas and heavy sea traffic. Oh, and spearfishing whille scuba is strictly forrbidden ( one must not keep a gun and scuba equipment in the same boat at the same time )as well as spearfishing before sunrise or after sunset with flashlight.

All the best

Hi Marindiver,
thanks for your reply and your advice.

In a week I'll be in Croatia.

Maybe, the best time for spearfishing overthere could be in Autumn.

No fast boat around you.

Best regards

KK

The rules in Croatia are exactly the same than in Italy,about the fish I expect more fish that you can find in Italy or well maybe dont have to dive so deep to find it.Any chance to find some lobsters over there?

Hello buddy,
you're right spearfishing rules in Italy are quite similar but you don't need spearfishing licence. Therefore you don't pay 40 bucks for a week.

In Italy you have to go to the Coast Guard to know restricted area.

During the summer season you can't do spearfishing less than 500 metres from beaches or less than 100 metres from straight cliff.

You can use light in Croatia is forbidden.

All the best,

KK

Sorry guy's I wasn't clear enough about restrictions : using flashligfht durring spearfishing is allowed, but only at daytime (for holes ). Rule of not spearing near beaches is also present in Croatia, only I am not sure in distance of limits. Also hunting groupers is prohibited dirring july and august. There are lobsters in adriatic sea but rarely as catch of spearos.
I am not sure that you will find more fish in Croaria then in Italy, preassure on fish population is rising every day ( professional fishermans, locals trying to improove their budget, turists, sportfishing ) spearos with more experiance are saying that fish are going deeper and deeper and for a real trophy you must go 25+. Allthough in my experiance if lucky one can run into a decent size amberjack or leerfish even at 10m. If your expectations of a good holliday includes only a plenty of catched fish, you may be dissapointed.
So enjoy in beauty of nature, girls and fine cooking.

Have a nice and safe holliday.

Hi guys,
I would like to go in Croatia for a holiday and I saw the sea is just wonderful. Do you know if there is any law restiction in that country or any recomandation about it?Thanks.

Hi mate,

I'm sorry but I have bad news for you.

You could buy a permit for spearfishing in Croatia only if you are a member of your national spearfishing association or member of the Croatian national spearfishing association.

I found this info here.

You have to look: Beginner spearfishing>Spearfishing in Croatia.

A Croatian guy speaks about spearfishing rules overthere.

That thread will give you all the info you need.

See ya

KK

Sorry tony,

You have to look: Beginner Hunting
Beginner Spearfishing doesn't exist.

KK

Hi mate,

I'm sorry but I have bad news for you.

You could buy a permit for spearfishing in Croatia only if you are a member of your national spearfishing association or member of the Croatian national spearfishing association.

I found this info here.

You have to look: Beginner spearfishing>Spearfishing in Croatia.

A Croatian guy speaks about spearfishing rules overthere.

That thread will give you all the info you need.

See ya

KK
Hi Kinky,
thanks a lot for all the info and links that you are giving me, I relly need it, even if I never had a competition in England ( I have to blame my job for that),I'm a competitive member of the British Spearfishing Association (BSA) and I have a membership card,hope is enough to get the permission in Croatia.Cheers mate.

i only saw once a lobster in adriatica
unfortunately at 40 meters depth [with scuba]
a really big one, but so down there!!
as far as i can saw, in adriatica there are not so plenty of fish like in red sea, but after 10-15 meters you can find some big fishes
in KRK in svedo marek i saw a jack fish [about 90 cm in lenght] who cross my path at 9 meters depth wile freediving there....

for a moment i had the impulse to check my gun, but it was just a reflex...because i didn't took my gun with me in this trip...
and after a moment spent without moving and just looking at him....i was proud of myself for not let the hunter prevale over the observer :p

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT