• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in Egypt?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

greendiver

Sea fanatic
May 2, 2005
I am planning to go to Egypt for a scuba course, I am leaving the day after tomorrow, what about spearfishing there? does anyone know if it is legal or has been fishing there?

Sorry, spearfishing isn't allowed in the Red Sea.

MANUEL

yeah....thats true!F***!!!(but you still can fish there...so dont get down, thats cool too!)

But it would be awsome, and NO WONDER that the fish is sooo big there. Because its not getting hunted, and so they grow and grow and grow and damn grow again!!! :duh

AND the same thing with yachting.... THERE IS NOTHING LIKE THAT IN EGYPT, in Turkey and greece etc. its perfectly legal and adds couple of millions on their economy!!!

Egypts only "material" is the beatiful Red Sea (and they want to keep it this way for generations!) they have (#17 word producer) oil and ... DOT so their major part of economy stands on turism... (for me its motly the hotel lovers)

BUT i only go there to scuba a bit and get back...

alexanderXP said:
But it would be awsome, and NO WONDER that the fish is sooo big there. Because its not getting hunted, and so they grow and grow and grow and damn grow again!!! :duh

I wonder if the absence of massive longliners and seiners has anything to do with that? I'd be hesitant to blame the lack of fish anywhere on spearos, even the Med. Are there big trawlers in the Red Sea?
Peace,
Erik Y.

Hi to you all,

Greendiver: You did not say where you are going to take your course, but let’s say that what Manuel mentioned is generally true; Spear fishing is banned in Egypt. However, how the authorities are being strict about it vary greatly from an area to the other. In the Med for example (Alexandria to Matrouh) it is very loose no body even bothers what you are doing. On the other hand in Ras Muhammad (Sinai southern tip) there are large fines, confiscation and even Jail! So if to Sinai you are heading, better forget about the idea, it is too risky. I used to spear there (Ras Muhammad, Sharm El-Shaik, Dahab, Nouba’a) for many years, and the risk was part of the fun, but not any more. Probably I am getting older! :waterwork
In the south part of the Red Sea (Hergada to Marsa Alam) the law is seldom implemented and usually as a reaction of some eco-fanatic scuba diver report. If you are with right company (some local guys) you can go to places where no scuba divers are present and do as you like, preferably with a boat. I haven’t speared there myself, but I did from the other side of the sea (Saudi Arabia) and it seams that there are excellent spots to hunt the much cherished rock grouper (3kg – 20kg) . Some claim it has the best meat the seas can offer. Good Luck and tell us about it later :wave .

Alexander & Erik: Commercial fishing is heavy in the Red Sea, especially from the Egyptian side. The sea now is so exploited that Egyptian fishing boasts have to sail as far as Somalia and Yemen to catch decent quantities. The pollution from oil tankers and the commercial liners has also taken its toll. So I am sorry to disappoint you guys, the Red Sea has lost its edge :waterwork . The reefs are still live with fish and you can still go out and catch fish every day, but it doesn’t measure up to South Africa, GBR, Hawaii, Florida or the like.

Gino

Reactions: Erik

Thanks man!! all of you guys by the way...I am going to Hurghada, so I suppose I will give it a shot...or 2... , I will let you guys know..
Anyways I am really looking forward to the whole thing...I am leaving in a couple of hours... :wave

greendiver said:
Thanks man!! all of you guys by the way...I am going to Hurghada, so I suppose I will give it a shot...or 2... , I will let you guys know..
Anyways I am really looking forward to the whole thing...I am leaving in a couple of hours... :wave

Dude!!! I am here....amazing!!!...can not tell you anything else..this is unbelievable!!

Grouper everywhere, AJ's (similar to the med ones), Barracudas, in one day...
I already met a guy, told me...we will go fishing next week!! Can not wait!!
Will tell you one thing, tis is gonna be mega cool!!!
The end of the day, was in between 16 dolphins, was trying to imitate their sound and they came to me....
Amazing place, although Egypt scares the hell out of me!!

greendiver said:
Dude!!! I am here....amazing!!!...can not tell you anything else..this is unbelievable!!

Come on man, you are tearing our hearts out! :vangry You don’t have to be so graphic about it!
No, I am just kidding! Cant wait to hear more of your Hergada stories . Fotos, fotos and fotos! This is what you need to do now, and don’t forget to tell us where you went spearing.

Have fun!
Gino

Hehehehe.. gino... rofl rofl, yeah...got carried away a b little bit, anyways...I will let you know..
Today I saw......well.....getting carried away again... , snappers...big ones...
Take care

why on earth is Egypt scaring the hell out of you , did you meet any flesh eaters or human vampires of any sort ,,, do you know how many foreginers just like yourself come across hurghada on a daily basis , bro easy with the media hype aint nothing going to happen to you there just enjoy , we dont bite foreginers

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…