• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in egypt?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Rome

Nov 5, 2005
Hi guys n girls

since a friend and I are going to have a diveingtrip to Sharm el Sheikh we planed to take our spearguns with us and go hunting a little bit.

Is it true that speargunning is illegal in Egypt?
Heard something like that.

Doese anyone know more?

Thanx so far
Rome

[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=64212"]Spearfishing in Egypt?[/ame]

Spearfishing isn't allowed in the Red Sea.

MANUEL

ASHOD!! why dont you post some pics with your camo wetsiut hahahahaha:)

Hi I saw this and am thinking of a family hol this April ( me and wife plus 2 boys 16 and 14) - not spearing of course but snorkelling and scuba + general r&r . Any particular recommendations? Have been looking at Thos Cook 4-5 star packages in Sharm like the Hyatt Regency, or perhaps other resorts like Hurghada. Will just have to curb my itchy trigger finger!:)

sharm will be better for that purpose i think...be sure to go to ras mohamed, which is the national marine park, amazing diving/snorkeling there...you could also go for a day trip to dahab which is also fun..
enjoy! :)

Many thanks Marwan for the tips. If ever you come to Guernsey, Hope I can do the same.:)

I know that locals spearfish there. Maybe there is actually regulation written somewhere that specifies the rules? Would be nice to see stuff like this, rather than hearsay. I've heard that spearfishing is illegal in every place I've ever dived and spearfished.

yes this discussion keeps coming up...i have researched all the laws and could not find a written law that specifically bans spearfishing...i know the scuba community in places like sharm el sheikh are against it, for good reasons...i know that it is prohibited in the national park areas like sharm el sheikh, far islands south of red sea etc... but beyond that I have not seen a law that bans it, i have researched our environmental laws and they do not mention spearfishing, unless something changed in the last year...spearguns are sold in alexandria and certain parts of cairo..its quite a popular sport in the mediterranean...so yes its definitely not popular/common.

Reactions: Mr. X
this reminds me of Fiji... I was told that spear fishing was banned but when I got there the locals thought otherwise and what resulted was the most memorable hunt ever... 1-3am on the outer reef of Tavauni.

Yeap,
spearing is forbidden in Egypt in the Rea Sea, but in the Med is allowed as far as I know
As to the Red Sea all damages to reefs and ecosystem are done by Euro scuba clubs and the so called diving tourism.
An interesting film about it has been made by Austrian marine biologist from Austria.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT