• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in fast flowing water

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pro Fisha

Dec 27, 2012
Hi guys.

Just a general question about tides/current. I am a pretty serious kayak angler and often fish/paddle in very fast flowing water like the Mersey in Liverpool so have a fairly good understanding about tides & currents etc But that's above the water and not below. What sort of flow can you swim in with a spearo outfit. I appreciate there will be many variables etc but just in general.

I have some excellent marks a few miles off-shore with flow rates of around 2 - 2,5 knots. Is that fairly easily doable? I suppose guys do drift areas with a much faster flow rate but won't necessarily be easy swimming against?

Hi guys.

Just a general question about tides/current. I am a pretty serious kayak angler and often fish/paddle in very fast flowing water like the Mersey in Liverpool so have a fairly good understanding about tides & currents etc But that's above the water and not below. What sort of flow can you swim in with a spearo outfit. I appreciate there will be many variables etc but just in general.

I have some excellent marks a few miles off-shore with flow rates of around 2 - 2,5 knots. Is that fairly easily doable? I suppose guys do drift areas with a much faster flow rate but won't necessarily be easy swimming against?

You should be able to swim against a couple of knots but its going to be energy sapping over any prolonged time. I tend to plan to work with currents rather than swimming against them - they'll beat you in the end :)
I'd certainly not advise anchoring the yak and diving in such a current - you'll be able to make progress against but it but you could soon find yourself with a challenge getting back to the yak. It takes quite a while to get efficient swimming with fins and the biggest problem I, and many others, had when starting was horribly painful leg cramps which you'll no doubt also 'enjoy' at some point. Having a problem like that in a current could be a bit of excitement you dont need offshore when you're yak is getting further and further away.
Being tethered to the yak and drift diving saves you energy swimming against any current - just hop back on and paddle back. Just choose your area well so you're not drifting over lobster pot float lines etc.
Is the seat on your Stealth shallow enough to allow you to sit in the paddling position with your weight belt on? My D2 seat is too deep - the steath may be easier in that respect?

Reactions: Pro Fisha
as grant said, paddle with the yak and drift dive with it. plan your drops so that you know any potential hazards like snags.
i totally love drift dives in strong tide, probably my second favourite. here's a vid of some shallow drifts, i do deeper ones too of course and have some fave spots for that :)

go for it but be safe!

You should be able to swim against a couple of knots but its going to be energy sapping over any prolonged time. I tend to plan to work with currents rather than swimming against them - they'll beat you in the end :)
I'd certainly not advise anchoring the yak and diving in such a current - you'll be able to make progress against but it but you could soon find yourself with a challenge getting back to the yak. It takes quite a while to get efficient swimming with fins and the biggest problem I, and many others, had when starting was horribly painful leg cramps which you'll no doubt also 'enjoy' at some point. Having a problem like that in a current could be a bit of excitement you dont need offshore when you're yak is getting further and further away.
Being tethered to the yak and drift diving saves you energy swimming against any current - just hop back on and paddle back. Just choose your area well so you're not drifting over lobster pot float lines etc.
Is the seat on your Stealth shallow enough to allow you to sit in the paddling position with your weight belt on? My D2 seat is too deep - the steath may be easier in that respect?

Hi grantl

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'll be tethered to the kayak in strong current as you describe. I do like to use the tides/currents to my advantage and use them to plan trips. Just was not sure what sort of speed one can swim in full spearo gear but understand what you mean...

Yes, the seat in the Stealths are shallow enough to paddle with weight belt on and sit side saddle for prolonged periods of time. Your center of gravity is still low due to the flat hull so no props there.

as grant said, paddle with the yak and drift dive with it. plan your drops so that you know any potential hazards like snags.
i totally love drift dives in strong tide, probably my second favourite. here's a vid of some shallow drifts, i do deeper ones too of course and have some fave spots for that :)

go for it but be safe!

Thanks Jonny, love the vid!

Give me a buzz later in season and will try and sort some boat cover for you .do some drop drift dives and pick ups over a fast fishy patch then move and try another patch? May be round st Tuds /Bardsey?

Reactions: Pro Fisha
Give me a buzz later in season and will try and sort some boat cover for you .do some drop drift dives and pick ups over a fast fishy patch then move and try another patch? May be round st Tuds /Bardsey?
That's sounds great denian! I'll be up for that. Hoping to get out a lot this year so I am sure we will bump into one another... I also have a couple of composite kayaks that might be handy for some places if you fancy it...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT