• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in Florida

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Alex Chiappe

Jul 29, 2004
Hi all ... i'm new here, i'm an italian spearfisher and the next Easter will be in Florida, perhaps in Fort Lauderdale. I would want to fish. Is it possible? Is it dangerous? I would have to be leaned to a diving? Which fish I can meet? ... and ... Which measure of gun I would have to use?

Normally I fish using arbalete from the 75cm to the 115cm, are sufficient?

Thanks and you excuse me for English mine pessimo.

Alex

Alex,
Most of the fish you will see are going to be in the 2-15 lbs range, Grouper, snapper, HogFish. On some of the deeper wrecks you can get in to cobia and larger fish. If you are in Ft Lauderdale, dont discount the idea of driving an hour north or south for even better fishing. North gets you into Palm Beach/Jupiter area and South, Miami and the Keys. Both areas are a little "hotter" for shooting. Nice thing about Ft Lauderdale, you can swim right from the beach and hit some nice patch reef in 12-30 feet of water. You just cant spear off a life guard protected beachs, and you have to carry a float with a Diver Down flag, you will also be required to get a fishing permit, but most dive shops can help you there. Good luck and enjoy.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT