• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

SpearFishing in Mauritius and Reunion Island

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

poildeq

Cuba Si
Mar 10, 2011
I took a trip last month to the island of Mauritius and Reunion.
It is Illegal to carry a speargun to Mauritius so much for my spearfishing adventure, but as I landed in reunion first and was made aware of it by the local spearos, I did not declare my spearguns upon entering Mauritius.
Reunion Island is full of fish but also packed with sharks of all denominations ranging from the pellagic ones to the agressive Bullshark, the day before I went out, there was a huge commotion on the beach and I was told that an experienced spearo had been attacked and killed by sharks. Quick change of plan and took off on another beach not far from our original one. The sharks were omnipresent and circled continuously, approaching dangerously whenever one took his eyes off them. In all we must have encountered at least 50-60 sharks all in hunting and curious demeanour.
I speared a 5 kgs grouper who was immediately decimated by white tips and the reef blues. It was a sobering sight.After that we did not spear any fish..the water is cool and the current persistent, no reefs per se but lots of volcanic rock deposits on the seabed.
Mauritius by comparison does not have as many fish and also not many sharks the ones I encountered were juvenile and timid. I did get a Jack barracuda some snapper and a few other, and 1 lobster..which we ate promptly....but that was all as the weather turned on me and spent the rest of the week kite sailing.
The reefs in mauritius are beautiful considerably smaller that the ones in the caribean and Mexico. The local fisherman are very helpful and knowledgeable of the fish habitat.
Had some local moonshine on one of the fishing boats which picked me up, I was shivering as the wind had picked up and the weather was cool. I had an instant headache..did it help me get warmer, I cant say as I was frantically looking for some analgesic.
I still prefer Cuba and I am back in january despite it being winter. I have not encountered as many sharks there as I have in the Indian Ocean.

Attachments

• P1040458.jpg
    P1040458.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 647
Interesting post, but this should be in another section, not the one for pneumatic guns.

I am from Mauritius and yes in fact spearfishing is illegal here.. idk how you managed to get your spear-gun in the plane without them detecting and confiscating it but it was not a great idea when you think about the price of your gun and the fact that it may get confiscated .the amount of fish depends on which lagoon you are going there are places where there are too much boats or fisherman you will barely see any fish and there are lagoons where people don't go the marine life is rich

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT