• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in Muscat

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mullins

Mar 4, 2004
Just wondering if anybody here lives in Muscat or knows the area well. My family is doing a trip to Qatar and Oman in December and we'll be in Muscat for a week or so, so we're keen on getting some spearfishing in.

Any information on species, locations and dive operators who are spearo-friendly would be much appreciated. I've heard there are quite a few sailies around the gulf, it'd be great to have a crack at those!

direct your attention to this thread:
[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=51828"]UAE or Oman spearfishing clubs[/ame]

Hi Mullins,
For Oman-see the thread Mishu1984 directed you to. Your best bet for the big stuff is mostly Musandem on the little part of Oman that is located "on" the top of the UAE. In Qatar, almost EVERY local national is spearo friendly, even with scuba and spearing with/without scuba is legal. All dive shops in Qatar are spearo friendly (QDive, Pearl Divers, World Marine, Dolphin Marine, and Sariya Gulf)

The Qataris I know only get fish via male family members using fishing, spearing, and traditional methods and most locals are very spearo friendly. (most Qataris I know can take a line wrapped around a hunk of wood, drop it in the water and pull up a keeper within 3 minutes-no lie!!!!) The local bsac chapters are not spearo friendly, and have at times gotten rather confrontational, threatening, and nasty so stear clear- Some of them will approach and start yelling/swearing/threating/ writing down your license plate # etc and trying to provoke you but it IS LEGAL here.

There is lots of spearing offshore in Qatar for Golden Toothed Trevally (6-12 KG), locally known as "Rabib" , all other trevally , lumped together as "jesh", Cobia "sicken", and King Mackerel or Kingfish "canad". All the above fish are tasty :) and in abundance right now through about Feb. so you are coming at the right time. Water temps are dropping now to between 24-27 C so you might need a 3mm suit :)

My dive partner got a big trevally about 12 kilograms an hour and a half ago and was complaining there is no fish :) UAE/Oman spearing is only better (check with "Nesim" on this board for laws on spearing in Oman)

Drop me a pm is you have any qatar specific questions and I will try and answer.

anton

Thanks Anton, i was getting mixed messages about the legality of spearing in the gulf. Pity it's outlawed in oman, but there's always the camera I guess. 24-27C will make a nice change from NZ waters, which have just warmed to a balmy 16C.

Mullins: you have to bear in mind that in the middle east, just as in latin america, a lot of things are officially outlawed in paper, but not enforced. Alcohol is supposedly outlawed in Kuwait, but every week during the summer we manage to get hammered with vodka..
in the middle east, a big smile and sweet words (yup were the kings of ass-kissing) can take you a long ways.

Greetings,

I just get an job offer from Oman for a year, heard that is a lovely country. I just want to know if i should bring my stuff with me, It could be easier if I purchase equipment from Oman, u know luggage weight is limited.

If u guys know some shops in the country and guide me, you will be appreciated.

Regards to you all...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT