• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in Nassau & Cococay, Bahamas

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MIADIVER

Jul 23, 2002
I am going on a cruise in a month or so. The cruise stops at the islands of Nassau and Cococay.

Does anyone know if spearfishing allowed on these islands (w/ hawaiian sling of course)? If so, can you swim off the beach and find fish? Alternatively, does anyone have any suggestions on finding a boat that will take me out? Also, can I take spears on a Royal Caribbean Cruise?

Any help would be appreciated.

i have never been to any of those places but i assume that u can spearfish and i think if you can hitch a ride on a small boat that will go to a patch reef u can spear nice fish. the part about taking a spear on the cruise, i guess you can try putting in a case as if you were going on an airplane and call it fishing equipment

Forget spearfishing in CocoCay. This Island is owned by Royal Caribean and my ex-wife works for the Risk Manangemet Dep't and they will not let you go outside the of their life guard monitored area. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen if something occurs, especially to a top-notch gay attorney as yourself:D

As far as Nassau, talk to the locals and perhaps they can take you out for a fee. Looks like you're doing the wkd trip, done it many times and it's always fun.

My advice, leave you spearfishing gear at home and concentrate on the other type of fishing done in the Cabins...then again, it's probably not your type.;)

There is a bahamian law the limits spearng to a large (1/2 mile?) distance away from islands. I'm pretty sure that includes Nassau, so swimiming off the beach is probably off limits. The Nassau area has been shoot heavily for a long time. Unless you go with someone with considerable local knowledge and skill and are prepared to go deep, your chances of getting much are pretty low, especially if you are not very practiced with a sling.

Is Cococay the new name for Little San Salvador? If so, its too bad, that area used to be real good and stilll probably has some fish in it.

Overall, the advice to leave the spear at home is probably pretty good. Take your sling, If you do find someone local to take you out, they will have extra shafts.

Have a good time

Connor

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT