• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in New Zealand

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ron Bakker

Rons Sea Corner
Nov 5, 2004
Hi guys just done another video, this time it's out on the water. I enjoy videos of other coutries spearfishing so I thought this might be of interest to some.
Cheers.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB47vhfq9Ks]YouTube - Cuvier spearfishing trip 2011[/ame]

Reactions: Don Paul
Plenty of fish out there Ron, love the Zap cat or whatever you call them in NZ?

Well done Ron, very nice production mate. I love NZ and the warm heartened
people I met on North Island. :friday

Cheers, Don Paul

Attachments

• IMG_2242.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Yeah it's funny in the UK they call them Zapcats but we call them Thundercats. Guernsey looks like a nice place. A bit chilly in the winter? A lot of the fish in the video are not on the hunt list but still nice to have around.
The Port Valley club are a good bunch of guys but not often I make it that far north to see them.

I dont think many spearos in the UK have considered using inflatable cats as a dive platform, they tend to prefer ordinary inflatables (rubber ducks).
I use a polythene boat much like the NZ made Mac or are they now called ensign?
Poly suits me as we tend to run the boat up to reefs or islands & land them ashore - pretty tough boats. The down side is weight compared to an inflatable as my 15' tops out at 28 knots with a Honda 50 but runs best at 20 knots.
I think if I dug a hole in my backyard & kept going I would pop out somewhere in NZ, we have a more in common with your South Island but share things like massive tides & even a few species of fish.

Attachments

• P1040797.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 154
  • P1040747.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 161
thats no bad, get almost the same from my yammy 30. its on the back of a 4.2 pontoon alloy dingy. sucks the juice at full revs big time. You still selling guns etc there Ron. I brought a divecom creda off ya a couple of years back.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…