• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in north east England

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Chalkie2

Apr 7, 2012
Hi, I'm just getting into Spearfishing and was wondering what the north east is like for spearing and if many people are active. I'm not looking for anyones secret locations but just somewhere to get started.
Thanks in advance

Hi

Not sure if by North East your meaning Northumberland or NE Scotland?
I dive Northumberland quite a bit from Berwick to Craster and there's a good mix of clean sand for flatties and kelp/ reefs for pollack/ cod etc. lobster and crab are fairly plentiful as well.
Most that coast is fairly easy diving but the stretch of beach S of Bamburgh is an exception as there can be some significant currents between it and the Farnes.

Here's a good resource for some of the better known and easily accessible dive sites

http://www.dcordes.freeuk.com/beadnell.htm

Cheers

Grant

Hi Grant,

Thanks for your response and the info. Beadnell is about an hour up the road so would be perfect for me to gain some experience.
Would you say a 75cm gun would be ok in these water?
Thanks again

Paul

Hi Paul,

I live just down the road in Durham, I have speared a lot before but have only just moved up here so as yet, I am still learning the coast! More than welcome to come out with me over the summer (won't be in much before then due to exams)

Regarding guns, a 75cm will be fine for up here, we aren't exactly gifted with the best visibility!

If you need any more help, just send a PM, will be glad to help :)

Dave

(Did you get in today Grant?)

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the kind offer. I'll defo be up for that.
Back to the Apnea training it is then.

Paul

(Did you get in today Grant?)

Heading off this morning Dave - it's a big tide so may be interesting but tbh it's prob just a bit early. Looking forward to just getting in though :) Football Hole I think.

Paul - Beadnell is an ideal place to start as you've got the big sandy bay on one side and nice sheltered reefs on the North. I tend to avoid the Bay in. Summer as its full of kite / wind surfers etc.
As Dave says a 75 will be fine. I usually use an 80 or 90 but the shorter gun is more suitable there.

Likewise drop me a PM if you want any more info./ help.

Cheers

Grant

well, this is a good omen hopefully... ive just moved back to durham and am looking for people to go spearfishing with, show me the local places etc, ive been living in Jersey for 6 years, where i spearfished with my brother for a while, then a mutual friend when my brother moved away..... but i have absolutely no idea of the local area... ive got some gear, and it would be good to get to know some people who go out....

Too much work on to even contemplate diving. Today would have been a great day for you to get out and do some exploring though!

Head up Northumberland - a few cod about since last weeks big seas.

aye, really need to get out with someone with a bit of knowledge, just to be on the safe side, what with currents and all that.... where abouts in durham ya at... im brandon.......

Hey guys, hoping to get out in the next week or so! Send me a PM if you fancy meeting up

Cheers

when you thinking of??... my problem is my cars broken, where you thinking of going..... ? also started a new job, on nights, so it also depends on when im working too...

Hi I'm from Durham too, been to beadnell once in September last year, fantastic colours and I remember loads of crabs close to the shore from lady hole which is a bay just north of beadnell point.

I'm really interested to get into this sport and meet other local spearfishers in the north east

Would anyone like to organise a dive at beadnell? I've been reading that the reefs just south of the point are good and arn't difficult to dive.

Cheers

Ben

Sounds good to me - how about an informal shore dive meet from Beadnell one weekend in August (rubbish summer weather permitting)?
Im tied up the first 2 weekends but after that am free.
What's everyone's availability like in Aug?

Yeah I'm up for that however I may be in Spain at some point during august.

I'll keep you posted,

I was considering an evening dive today at low tide around 7:30pm but it may be a bit choppy so I'm not sure

Hey Ben,

Was up at Almwick yesterday and had a little looksee over at Howick and it looked pretty murky. I did not get in though.

The poor NE vis has made me renew my rod license for the Wear, a few sewin showing so far!

Where abouts in Durham do you live? Would definately be up for an August dive!

Dave

Hey dave,

Yeah I was thinking it could be a bit murky from all the sediment that has been washed into our coast recently or just generally from the crappy weather sturring up the sea!

Yeah I'm from Spennymoor way, how about u?

Ben

Was up beadnell on friday for a short dive, was quite windy so I kept to the sheltered shallows in one of the bays above the point.

Got two flounder, saw loads of crabs and even a large wrasse!

here is the video I took: [ame=http://youtu.be/1HBnv1YJsQg]Spearfishing North East England - YouTube[/ame]

Hope you like it =)

nice one dude... vis looked pretty good... im over at brandon, ill be up for getting out as long as im not working or busy ..... what float is that youre using??.. i need to get one, but havent bothered as only just got mysen a job....

Nice little vid good vis not like my little shity one hope to see some more coming our way .nice flatys like the way you dispatched them thanks mine end up like a dart board !!check Llyn bass on you tube.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT