Wednesday, July 18, 2018
  • Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 40,000+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 496,000+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,300+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in Portugal

Hi guys,

Well i've decided to post pictures of some fish that i speared this year in Portugal.

Most of them were caught in Cascais were i live and some of them in Algarve.

So if you are thinking in a Spearfishing trip to the Portuguese mainland or even to one of our islands (Azores or Madeira) feel free to post your questions.

Cheers,
Marco

Last edited:

catman

Aug 17, 2007
portugal
Hi there im from the southern part Algarve, if you do come here avoid the last 15 days of july and August, try to come in the begining of july.

If you need accomodation pls let me know, i'l see what i can arrange.

OP
OP
MCerieiro

MCerieiro

Sep 25, 2007
In the Blue...
www.blue-factory.net
Hey mate, good to see you here :)

The red one is a Common seabream (Pagrus pagrus) the silver one is a Gilthead seabream(Sparus aurata)

Both of them were speared in Algarve during the summer, right now the water's are too cold for them (+- 16ºC)

Cheers mate,
Marco

OP
OP
MCerieiro

MCerieiro

Sep 25, 2007
In the Blue...
www.blue-factory.net
Yes you will need a local licence (Valid only for the Azores) and it's totally forbidden targeting , moon fish, manta rays, mero (grouper) dolphins and other similar species.

You have to use of a signalizing float, and on the Azores it is only possible to catch a maximum of 5 fish a day per diver.

It's forbidden the use of breathing assistance gear other then the snorkel.

If you planning on coming contact Paulo Reis at:

[email protected]

For more information about the Azores go to:

Azores Tourist Guide - Destinazores

Cheers,
Marco

dario_deli

Spearfishing obsessed
Jan 11, 2008
Cheshire
Hi I'm going in Portugal soon and exactly in Madeira. Do you have any advice to give me? Do I need a boat or I can just to spear from the shore? Restrictions?Licence?Any other information is more than welcome.Thank you

Last edited:
OP
OP
MCerieiro

MCerieiro

Sep 25, 2007
In the Blue...
www.blue-factory.net
Hi Dario,

Yes you will need a local licence (Valid only for the Madeira Island) and it's totally forbidden targeting , moon fish, manta rays, mero (grouper) dolphins and other similar species, the licence is available at the port Authority.

You also have to be carefull with a local marine park called "Garajau".

You have to use of a signalizing float, and in Madeira it is only possible to catch a maximum of 5 fish a day per diver.

It's forbidden the use of breathing assistance gear other then the snorkel.

IMHO its best if you rent a boat, much better places by boat, however you can also go from shore.

madeira4u - Madeira Boats, Sailing & Fishing Trips - advertise charters, boat trips & sailing trips

If you need any help just ask.

Cheers,
Marco

dario_deli

Spearfishing obsessed
Jan 11, 2008
Cheshire
Hi Marco
Have you ever been there? Do you already know where I could rent a cheap boat? Do you think end of April beginning of May is already a good time for big fish? Sorry if I've so many questions! I was forgetting...do you know any local spearo?
Cheers
Dario