• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in Portugal

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MCerieiro

Sep 25, 2007
Hi guys,

Well i've decided to post pictures of some fish that i speared this year in Portugal.

Most of them were caught in Cascais were i live and some of them in Algarve.

So if you are thinking in a Spearfishing trip to the Portuguese mainland or even to one of our islands (Azores or Madeira) feel free to post your questions.

Cheers,
Marco

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
Where in Portugal are you catman? I'm hoping to be able to fit a trip in next summer to see Marco, maybe we could all meet up?

Hi there im from the southern part Algarve, if you do come here avoid the last 15 days of july and August, try to come in the begining of july.

If you need accomodation pls let me know, i'l see what i can arrange.

Hi mates,
It would be great to have you around Pastor :fridayand if you need any help just ask!

And Catman...we Portuguese are everywere, we move like snakes in the desert ;)

Em que parte do Algarve vives?? Abraço.

Cheers,
Marco

Marco! That's great stuff! What's the name of the fish in the first photo (from right0?

WTG Marco, all nice fish, I hear Azores is a wonderful place, I too hope someday to visit Portugal...Aren't you missing a nice octopus picture:)

:) yep, you are right...a nice octopus is always good!

Azores is a wonderfull place, full of big trophy's, however all of fish in the pictures are from the Portuguese Mainland.

Cheers,
Marco

Last edited:
Yes you will need a local licence (Valid only for the Azores) and it's totally forbidden targeting , moon fish, manta rays, mero (grouper) dolphins and other similar species.

You have to use of a signalizing float, and on the Azores it is only possible to catch a maximum of 5 fish a day per diver.

It's forbidden the use of breathing assistance gear other then the snorkel.

If you planning on coming contact Paulo Reis at:

bwe@bwexpeditions.com

For more information about the Azores go to:

Azores Tourist Guide - Destinazores

Cheers,
Marco

Reactions: Pastor
Hi I'm going in Portugal soon and exactly in Madeira. Do you have any advice to give me? Do I need a boat or I can just to spear from the shore? Restrictions?Licence?Any other information is more than welcome.Thank you

Last edited:
Hi Dario,

Yes you will need a local licence (Valid only for the Madeira Island) and it's totally forbidden targeting , moon fish, manta rays, mero (grouper) dolphins and other similar species, the licence is available at the port Authority.

You also have to be carefull with a local marine park called "Garajau".

You have to use of a signalizing float, and in Madeira it is only possible to catch a maximum of 5 fish a day per diver.

It's forbidden the use of breathing assistance gear other then the snorkel.

IMHO its best if you rent a boat, much better places by boat, however you can also go from shore.

madeira4u - Madeira Boats, Sailing & Fishing Trips - advertise charters, boat trips & sailing trips

If you need any help just ask.

Cheers,
Marco

Hi Marco
Have you ever been there? Do you already know where I could rent a cheap boat? Do you think end of April beginning of May is already a good time for big fish? Sorry if I've so many questions! I was forgetting...do you know any local spearo?
Cheers
Dario

Hi mate,

I know some Spearos from Madeira, i will talk to them and put you guys in contact, its the best way.

I will send you a PM later

Cheers,
Marco

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT