• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in Roatan?????

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

riffehunter717

Mar 7, 2007
plan on going to roatan in august, does anyone know if spearfishing is legal in Roatan? ive done some research and was unable to come up with a definite answer, i have heard many differnt things (Yes and NO)

I have been there for a week or little longer in August 1981, but I didn`t spearfish at that time.
I don`t know if spearfishing is legal over there, but I would guess yes, its Honduras .
I don`t know, if its still the same, but
I would recommend to take plenty mosquito-repellent to the island, once I`ve been off the water,
millions of sandflies attacked me, so everytime I had to rub my hole body with that repellent to avoid to look ill with measles:martial
It was here (only swimming, the resort was tooo exspencive for me), the resort has been allready there that time:
Honduras Holidays: Anthony's Key Resort on Roatan Honduras
Spearfishing is forbidden in the Sandy bay marine reserve (13 km), so other parts of the island must be ok ;-)

Last edited:
source: Bay Islands Voice - News magazine for Roatan, Utila and Gunaja; Bay Islands of Honduras info guide

Did two freediving/ spearfishing trips to roatan (2005/ 2008)
Need to freedive deep inshore wich is outfished++ by the locals.
Not any reg in my knowledge.

Video on:SpearFishingMotion.com

Attachments

• CR 09 website2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 191
Hot damn, Ill be in Costa Rica from the 18th of this month to the first week of August. Then we are flying to Roatan and ill be there for a week or two. If you want to meet up i would love to have a Dive buddy.

Just got back from Roatan.

Vis was 120 ft, fish were everywhere.

For the record, spearfishing is NOT allowed anywhere on the island. But it is only enforced at the south tip of the island - West bay, etc...

I went up to a common spearing spot with two locals to (PM ME), and there were enough triggers, grouper, snapper and Parrot fish to fill a stringer quite fast. Although I brought my gun to the island i never took it out, for respect for the islanders and the marine preserve. Most of my dives were about 60 feet deep.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…