• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in Thailand

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Luck660

Sep 11, 2016
Hi all, I'm new here so thanks for having me.

I am interested in spearfishing and wondering if it's legal in Thailand. Also if there's a club I can join in Phuket.

Can the equipment be purchased in Phuket?

Cheers
Rick (luck660)

Spearfishing is perfectly legal in Thailand as long as you aren't in a designated National Marine park. I don't know of any club as such but there is a company that organises day trips. They also sell/rent equipment. There used to be a fishing shop in Phuket old town that stocked spearguns but I don't know if it's still there.

http://www.phuket-spearfishing.com/

When will you be in Phuket? I live here and i try to get out for spearfishing whenever the weather allows for it(right now the conditions are mostly bad because of the rain and strong winds from the west)
Im currently looking for a divebuddy since right now i dont know much spearos in Phuket and therefor i ended up mostly going alone and only doing shorehunting in 5-10 meters depths. Would be nice to do it with someone for safetyreasons and also it would be nice to share boatexpense and go out to the outer island where there are more and bigger fishes. Send me a pm if you are interested

Last edited:
Reactions: MTSAVKAL
Btw, there are two shops with spearguns and gear in Phuket town. But both of them have very overpriced guns and personally i only use one of them(andaman sea sport) for when i need accersories as fast as possible. The guy and his wife that owns the place are very nice and helping people.

If you want to buy a gun while in Phuket/Thailand i recommend to either buy from Charlie which is the Rob allen distributor in Thailand or if you want another brand there are thaipeople who import diffrent brands private and they sell those for a fairer price than the physical shops in Phuket Town. But it will take some time with both of these options since the gun needs to be ordered and imported to thailand on your request, depending on what option you use it will take between 1-3 weeks before you have the gun in your hands.

Another option would also be to buy a used/second hand gun. I know a thaiguy in Phuket that import new guns and all kind of gear but he also buys and sell second hand guns.

It all depends on what kind of gun you are looking for :)

Last edited:
Hi Okis,

Sure we can meet up, it would be good to have a chat with someone who knows something about it.

I plan to start cruising in my sailboat next year and I've seen some videos on YouTube about it from other cruisers doing it. I'm also a scuba diver, just open water. It looks like something I'd like to try but I know absolutely nothing about it.

Cheers
Rick

I'm still a beginner in spearfishing, i just started out 4 months ago but im happy to point you in the right directions for getting spearguns and gear over here and tell you about the basic stuff and also go with you for some spearfishing since you probaly will be doing some shore and offshore hunting to get some stalking skills e.tc before you head out on your cruise.

Send me a private message here on the forum with your contact info and we can figure something out

I'm still a beginner in spearfishing, i just started out 4 months ago but im happy to point you in the right directions for getting spearguns and gear over here and tell you about the basic stuff and also go with you for some spearfishing since you probaly will be doing some shore and offshore hunting to get some stalking skills e.tc before you head out on your cruise.

Send me a private message here on the forum with your contact info and we can figure something out

OK sure, will do. Strangely enough I'm selling two kayaks on Buoyancy Sell Phuket and the guy who owns Shogun Spearguns contacted me about them....karma!

OK sure, will do. Strangely enough I'm selling two kayaks posted on Buy and Sell Phuket and the guy who owns Shogun Spearguns contacted me about them....karma!

Great, he was actually the guy i was talking about when i said i know a thaiguy here who both import new guns and also buy and sells second hand guns!

Reactions: Luck660
Hi everybody,
I'm planning to visit Phuket (2017-2018) and I'm looking for info about everything and there is so much to plan. Travel book and Internet give me some great info about traveling but none about what realy drives me. So will gladly read any hint and tips from spearfishing, freediving, boat rental and, freedive partner.

Hi all, I'm new here so thanks for having me.

I am interested in spearfishing and wondering if it's legal in Thailand. Also if there's a club I can join in Phuket.

Can the equipment be purchased in Phuket?

Cheers
Rick (luck660)

There's a guy who just posted a thread in the Spearo Board part. His thread title is Spearfishing in Burma 2016 but he seems to be based out of phuket from what I read in the thread. Anyways I have gone freediving in phuket not spearfishing and even without shooting anything it was awesome.

out of curiosity.
What size of guns do you use in thailand.?
I'm planning to move to thailand within the next couples of years, i was wondering if i should bring my 70-95cm guns or sell them before i move.
Should i buy new long guns in europe and bringe them with me, or bue new ones in thailand.
Right now im a big fan of Blue and green carbon spearguns, but im sure you can't get them in thailand.?

Also the mm in wetsuit? i'm guessing my newly bought 7mm polosub, is gonna make me look like a cooked shrimp in thailand. :)

Damn!! I'm moving to Ubon, so far away from the ocean. :(

I’m heading to Phuket soon want to hunt kingfish and yellowfin
Is a Thai fishing license required?
Where is the best place to fish?
Do companies have boats to go to fishing sites for a fair price?
I am new to this site and would like to thank all in advance for any help
I am FII level 1 have all gear nesasary to hunt big game fish

When will you be in Phuket? I live here and i try to get out for spearfishing whenever the weather allows for it(right now the conditions are mostly bad because of the rain and strong winds from the west)
Im currently looking for a divebuddy since right now i dont know much spearos in Phuket and therefor i ended up mostly going alone and only doing shorehunting in 5-10 meters depths. Would be nice to do it with someone for safetyreasons and also it would be nice to share boatexpense and go out to the outer island where there are more and bigger fishes. Send me a pm if you are interested
Hi Okis, I am going to Phuket on the 10th of April for a month. Want to do alot of Spearfishing. Would like to meet you, are you still there?

Hi Okis, I am going to Phuket on the 10th of April for a month. Want to do alot of Spearfishing. Would like to meet you, are you still there?
HI Mtsavkal and Okis I will also be in Phuket for one week from 23-30 April. Any chance we can go for a Spearfish?

Reactions: MTSAVKAL
Hi Okis, I am in Phuket now. I would really like to go spearfishing with you. When are you going?

Hi, I am in Phuket now. Waiting for you.

I wish I was here, I would definitely join you!
Would you mind sharing your feedback on the underwater visibility off-the beach in Phuket? Is it possible to spearfish decently or do you have to take a boat?
I also like underwater photography and the clearer the water the better!

I have seen these kinds of posts https://www.phuket101.net/best-snorkeling-phuket/, I would suppose spearfishing must be decent around those areas?

hi, the high season is coming to an end and the rainy season is starting nowl. At the moment the visibility depends on where you are on the island. In Patong the visibility was quite good to 8 meters but a bit cloudy . In Yanui beach the visibility was closer to 6 meters and strong currents., If you just want to snorkel I would suggest Phi Phi Islands beacuse they are more inland and the waves are a lot less over there. I found lots of parrotfish a few of them one or two kgs. If you like other fish you need to time the tides and go early in the morning.or sunset

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT