• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

spearfishing in the dominican republic

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

daur

May 21, 2006
hey guys!
does any of you know what are the regulations regarding spearfishing in the dominican republic? im considering a trip to central america and thought i might pay the DR a visit...
any input would be good! TIA!

dude the dominican republic shares the island of hispanola with haiti. it is in the caribbean sea and is not part of central america. you probably knew that but it sounded like you may not from the wording of your message.

dude the dominican republic shares the island of hispanola with haiti. it is in the caribbean sea and is not part of central america. you probably knew that but it sounded like you may not from the wording of your message.

yes i know, do you happen to know about spearing there?
btw, what made you think i don't know where is the DR?

"im considering a trip to central america and thought i might pay the DR a visit..."

some of the reefs are closed due to past over-spearing. spearing may be frowned upon by locals in other areas. perhaps contact someone from the DR to get the full scoop. im sure you can find a local to take you who might show you some spots if you pay them enough.

Reactions: Manjinetsu
Daur: I consulted a dominican friend in another board and this was his answer, today: "There is almost NO restrictions for spearfishing, you can do it with or without tanks, some National parks are "close" for spearfishing, but sadly, nobody cares. Some species are banned, like Lobsters ( six month a year, at the pick of it's reproduction season) and all year for species not very atractive for spearo's like green turtle and manatees. The best spearfishig is at the south-west part of our country, at Pedernales." So there you go. Good luck and be safe. (BTW: turtles are reptiles and manatees mammals, and we NEVER shoot at them anyway, except with a camera).

hey, daur im alex from the dr, sadly what said above its true, we dont have much restriction here, so what i do its to be very selective, i only try to shoot the ones would be legal in the states, with the diference of amount, witch is all you want. i know a couple of good spearfishing places beside pedernales witch is to far from the capital where i live. there is a place near saona island that is very good, thats to the east of the island ad other. mail me if youdecide to pay us a visit, maybe i could take you spearing

Hello, I was near Samana and went for a swim just to see all the areas I wish I had my speargun with me. I am hoping to be able to bring my gear back next time I visit (later this month). I've seen a few videos and one showed a sunken ship that I am really hoping to find. From the forms I saw parrot fish, lobsters and crab were all closed for fishing, which is a non issue as they are never something I would target. I am hoping for some Pargo (red snapper) but am not fully familier with what i can encounter. Do you have any tips for fishing near las terrenas? or what makes for the best targets for a dinner plate?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT