• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing legislation in UAE

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Gerhard101

Jan 9, 2008
Guys,

Where do we stand on this issue?

I would like to do this as a hobby and a sport. But I do not want to do it and stress about authorities giving me fines and stuff.

I have a couple of Public Relation Officers at work that might be able to pull strings to get to the correct person who makes the decisions.

I don't promise anything but we can at least try.

But then I need all the relevant info with regards to the fishing laws in the UAE ect.

I am sure we can get a team together ensure this sport has a bright future in the UAE as they can use it as a marketing tool for visitors ect.

Any help will be appreciated.

Gerhard

Reactions: Pastor
Dear Gerhard,

Whereas spear guns are freely sold in the UAE, spearfishing is banned in its waters.

That said, the stipulations of the law, a copy of which is not at my disposal, state that free diving is permitted. Scuba on the other hand is not.

Those rules are most strictly followed in Abu-Dhabi, the capital. Other Emirates are more lenient.

If caught, the fines are all or any combination of the following:

1. Confiscation of the vessel
2. Confiscation of all diving gear
3. 6 months in jail
4. Dhs.25,000 fine

It gets worse if you are caught spearfishing on oil rigs in conserved areas, as what happened to us in Abu-Dhabi, near Daz Island in Ruwais/ Zerco. It was not a nice day.

On a live radio show, we once asked the question: Why is spearfishing banned in the UAE?

High ranking Govt. officials responded to our questions, but to say the least, their responses were not convincing and they did not have any understanding as to why the rule was in place.. but they had fully mastered the execution part of it.

Hence, no matter how long your breath hold is, I wouldn’t hold my breath in the hope of achieving any radical changes, any time in the near future.

My mobile number is attached below, for any queries you may have.

Regards,

Ashraf
050-2082582

The above is the WORST case scenario..

Spearfish.. No issues really.. Just avoid Abu-Dhabi..

I might head down to Dibba/ Oman this weekend- Friday.. You're welcome to join..

Ps: But be warned again.. Oman is worse than AD.. The Omani Coast-Guards are very fond of both moving and stationary objects.. They're trigger-happy all the time.. But if we are lucky, they'll apply all or any of the AD rules above to us.. :D

hey guys i have already posted the legislation on another thread. it says that spearfiishing is not allowed on SCUBA and also has to be done at least 2kms off shore.

check it out in the other spearfishing in the UAE thread.

Reactions: Adventurati - Fadi
spearfishing is allowed in dubai, but under certain regulations.

dubai rules:
-not allowed in the palm island, the world or any other island of dubai waters
-it is allowed in wreks
-it all boils down to wasta and how much they pretend to care when they stop you.
this weekend we got stopped spearing the world and they just told us to spear the outerwall and not the inside... maybe next week we can manage to get the boat confiscated, who knows

Wasta.... what a great word, and since I have moved to Abu Dhabi i have discovered that without wasta you can get f-all! :D

Wasta.... what a great word, and since I have moved to Abu Dhabi i have discovered that without wasta you can get f-all! :D

not just in UAE, the concept is all over the place...its cool eh? in a sinister way :):):naughty

Gerhard

You should Have A Connections To Spearfishin In Protected Waters.

Mowgli...As You Said Dibba And Khorfakan And Oman Have A Nice Fishing Spot And EveryBody Go There

This Week I'm Going To Dibba And We Stay There for 3 or 4 days...In The Morning We Head To Khasab And Masandam For Spearfishing And its All Good :) And You Are Welcome

i thought you just had to have a permit of something, cause i read that they are creating a spearfishing area near to the palm jumeirah

i thought you just had to have a permit of something, cause i read that they are creating a spearfishing area near to the palm jumeirah

who is? maybe the residents. i heard that whole area had been declared a marine reserve.

Had to look that up: Wasta@Everything2.com
"Wasta is an Arabic term that can best be translated into English as "clout, connections, influence, or 'pull'"

Sounds like the spearfishing rules might have been produced by a local SCUBA school with wasta:D.

Reactions: island_sands
2km off shore!! Thats a hell of a surface swim for me. :head

is it ready yet??? can we drive our car on the palm and park somewhere to get closer :S

is there something official?

Guys,

Where do we stand on this issue?

I would like to do this as a hobby and a sport. But I do not want to do it and stress about authorities giving me fines and stuff.

I have a couple of Public Relation Officers at work that might be able to pull strings to get to the correct person who makes the decisions.

I don't promise anything but we can at least try.

But then I need all the relevant info with regards to the fishing laws in the UAE etc.

I am sure we can get a team together ensure this sport has a bright future in the UAE as they can use it as a marketing tool for visitors ect.

Any help will be appreciated.

Gerhard

Gerhard,

You have asked a difficult question. You are going to have a very difficult time trying to persuade any Government official to make decision.

Alot of people spear fish, and alot get arrested so its tough to gauge where the law stands on this.

The EDA are not much help but I can predict their answer. In fact one of their committe nearly shot me underwater once.

The choice I think is your, just dont get caught.

If do spearfish, and I am 100% sure you are a sensible spearo, pleas etake you catch with you. I saw a huge grouper floating next to a wreck with an arrow through it. I am not going to be diving for the rest of the year or for a while now due to injuries and other issues so am not really linked to the community.

Best wishes and safe diving.

Ali Fikree

Last edited:
In sharja the shore gaurd saw me and my gun and they didnot say anything. Today i been there also and i am seeing many people are doing this sport.

any news guys? the season will start soon...shall we give it a try or things are worse now?

cheers

Its still a no-no. Phone EDA and ask them. I think they have dive educated staff now.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT