• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

spearfishing lines

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeepAbyss

Feb 11, 2018
hi,
i have cressi sl 40 i spear in depth 1-7m the fish weight 0.2-0.7 kg.
which line is better to the speargun Monofilament or dyneema pros and cons(and width line reccomend)?
which line be a good line to attacht the buoy and the speargun a float line(20-30m), not get tangled and not need to replace often and what width of line?

thanks

Mono around 1.65mm diameter for spearline. 20m Rob Allen olive/Thai green curry polyester rope floatline. Or equivalent cheap polyester washing line rope - about £1. 10m -15m should be enough. Or aquarium air tubing.

Note: nylon and steel washing lines, whether covered in plastic or not should be avoided, as they sink. Avoid para-cord too - some buoys/floats come with it but it is soft nylon :(. The cheap coarse yellow polyester rope (and braid) is ugly but works as it floats and is stiff.

thx,
what dimater of line for the float is be ok?
and if bungee line is good to attach the float and the speargun or not used to it?
and if shock absorber needed too?

Float line diameter is not critical. The RA line I use is fairly thin (maybe 4-8mm?). I have some very similar washing line that is a little thinner. Air tube might be a little thicker. Big game bungees can be thicker. It is more important that it is fairly stiff and floats.

Fix a muzzle bungee to your spear line but unnessary for your float line as you mention only small fish. However, I am experimenting with a homemade bungee built around the float end of the floatline, mainly to make it easier to tow in choppy conditions and/or against the current; it uses a piece of old inner tube. That's not normal practice, nor a recommendation.

Reactions: foxfish
You can achieve a lot more spear speed with thin running line, it has been recorded on the forum with statistics showing how reducing the line from 1.7 to 1.3 mm offered more performance than upgrading 16mm bands to 18mm bands.
Of course like most things of that nature there will be some form of trade off.... thine running line is more likely to tangle and will be more susceptible to damage.
However I rig my guns with 1.2mm line and just keep a check on its condition.
6mm aquarium air line is a popular float line to use.

Reactions: Mr. X
Interesting, I missed that :)

BTW v. Thick fishing lines can be difficult to find and/or expensive in the UK. But, if you keep your eyes open and shop around, strimmer/weedwacker line can be bought inexpensively in small or large reels. Different diameters 1.3mm-2.6mm and different colours too, I found some clear weedwacker line in a suitable diameter.

thx,
I'm going to hunt near the rocks,
And so I will use dyneema because it is more durable what size is recommended here as well the gun is cressi sl 40 its pneumatic speargun?
About a floating line, I found a 6 mm polyester rope its ok or bungee line like cressi,omer will do the job or it can crank.
Thanks

I like this stiff spectra. Its very hard to cut with a knife and can be crimped just like mono. And it doesn't tangle as much as the normal hollow spectra. I also have some in 1.4 mm and that would probably be ideal for your gun, but the web site doesn't seem to offer it now.

Thx how long line i need 5 m or less there is a guid line like 3 time the lenght of the gun??

That depends on how many wraps you use, whether the line attaches to a clip in the muzzle or a clip in the reel line, etc. But it’s easy enough to measure.Just tie a string the the shaft fin or hole and then run it around where the line will go and measure it. Two wraps aroun the line release will be more than enough and many people use one wrap.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT