• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing Miami

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

David90

Sep 24, 2015
Gone out the past three weeks and have yet to bring home my first fish. Been diving the reefs off of Key Largo and Fowey Lighthouse but nothing has been an appropriate size to be able to take home. I'm still pretty new to free diving, so going too deep still isn't really an option for me, that's why I've been sticking to these shallow water spots. I'm starting to get decent bottom time at about 20 feet but not much more than that. I'm still having a blast, seeing the wonderful wildlife and noticing significant gains in my breath holding, so all is not lost! Just wanted to see if any of you spearos out there with a little more salt on them had any advice for me! Greatly appreciated! Attached is a picture of some of the spots we hit

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 272
A day in the water is always a good thing. I'm sure your first fish is out there, waiting to be shot :D How was the viz?

Have you taken a freediving course? That would give you a major boost in bottom times and breath holds, not to mention some handy safety tips.

A day in the water is always a good thing. I'm sure your first fish is out there, waiting to be shot :D How was the viz?

Have you taken a freediving course? That would give you a major boost in bottom times and breath holds, not to mention some handy safety tips.

Hey BatRay! I just signed up yesterday, it's for a two day course but it's not until November. Viz was ok at 15'-20', but as we got into different waters add 25-30' it was reduced significantly.

Whats up David, I started just last summer and i'm barely ahead of you in depth. I mention this because we can team up and go fishing together. I haven't hit the water in over a month now. This weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: David90
Whats up David, I started just last summer and i'm barely ahead of you in depth. I mention this because we can team up and go fishing together. I haven't hit the water in over a month now. This weekend?

Hey Alex!
That sounds good to me bud! Unfortunately my schedule is such that I won't be able to go out for another couple of weeks, but I was hoping to sling some steel by Thanksgiving weekend. Where do you usually go out from?

I usually have a ride to boca chita key and dive just on the other side of the bay but when i shoredive i do it from broward, but it hasnt been very fruitful.
Just last month i swam a mile or two off miami beach and found several patches by luck, i pulled out a couple 20" groupers. I tried kayaking off key largo last year but i dont know any spots in that area. This weekend i think i'll kayak over to the flats just across key biscayne lighthouse. Im dying to hit the water

I usually have a ride to boca chita key and dive just on the other side of the bay but when i shoredive i do it from broward, but it hasnt been very fruitful.
Just last month i swam a mile or two off miami beach and found several patches by luck, i pulled out a couple 20" groupers. I tried kayaking off key largo last year but i dont know any spots in that area. This weekend i think i'll kayak over to the flats just across key biscayne lighthouse. Im dying to hit the water

Have fun out there, can't wait till I hit the water again either. That's a Hell of a swim back and forth bud! We'll be in touch soon what kind of gun do you have?

I have a great 100 cm cressi Comanche i think. I just got new bands on it and a brand new shock cord. Im excited i'll post what i catch

Can't wait to see 'em! I'll definitely hit you up in a couple of weeks the next time I head out. Next weekend I'll be doing the FII Level 1 course so hopefully there might be some gains on my bottom time. Talk to you soon, bud.

I have a great 100 cm cressi Comanche i think. I just got new bands on it and a brand new shock cord. Im excited i'll post what i catch

How was your course? I went out around key largo and pulled up a couple blue runners and 2 hog fish last weekend.

The water had low visibility but there was plenty of action after kayaking out about a mile.

I have the day off tomorrow and the weather is going to be favorable as well so if your free let's hit the water!

I have the day off tomorrow and the weather is going to be favorable as well so if your free let's hit the water!

I wish, bro! I'd love to but my nephew was actually just born, so this weekend is a no go for me. Does your kayak fit two? I'm actually looking to get one of my own. Do you use an anchor?

I have an extra kayak and i take an anchor when i need it. Another weekend then when your free lets do some umderwater hunting

I have an extra kayak and i take an anchor when i need it. Another weekend then when your free lets do some umderwater hunting

Definitely will dude, thanks for the invite! I will most definitely hit you up the next time I go out!!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT