• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing Near Wilmington, NC

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

deathbyspear

Feb 11, 2011
Does anybody on this form do any spearfishing near Wilmington, NC? I do not have a boat and dive the jetty at Wrightsville Beach a lot and I am looking for somewhere else to check out or somebody with a boat that has room for somebody with experience. Also would like to know if anybody has shot anything big this year.

Hey I live in wilmington and have a 23' cc boat. I have been spearfishing on scuba for 5-6 years and just took a freedive course. I'm available to go weekdays after 4pm and most weekends. I usually put in at snow's cut and leave out of carolina beach inlet. Pm me if you want to go out sometime.

I grew up in wilmington but am still back on most weekends. I havent been able to get out since the begining of may due to work, but am planning on doing as many trips as possible starting after june 10th. If we are looking for another I'll put it up here, also if you ever need an extra hit me up.

The jetty as masonboro can be decent at times around the slack high tide is generally the best i found, I admit though I havent hunted it in a long time, but we used to pick up flounder,sheepshead,tautogs on it. This time of year you never know if a stray cobia might cruise by.

Hey,
I have had some luck diving the jetty at Wrightsville Beach this time of year but so far I have tried twice this year and I haven't seen anything worth shooting at. I'm pretty available to dive and throw in on gas money as long as the vis looks good. I scuba and free dive but I am not an expert at free diving. Let me know a little in advance if anybody wants to go.

We usually hunt deep ledges, like 80-110ft range so its all on scuba, i wouldnt call myself a good freediver either, plus i dont have the setup to shoot large fish freediving anyways.

Hey,
I have had some luck diving the jetty at Wrightsville Beach this time of year but so far I have tried twice this year and I haven't seen anything worth shooting at. I'm pretty available to dive and throw in on gas money as long as the vis looks good. I scuba and free dive but I am not an expert at free diving. Let me know a little in advance if anybody wants to go.

I have done a couple 110ft dives looking for sharks teeth, but I would like to get on some ledges and shoot a bunch of fish and get some lobsters. I have a couple of guys who would want to go as well, so if you ever need good divers to chip in on gas let me know.

Those reefs right near the meg ledges hold some really good fish and big lobsters, if you out that way ever again maybe take a dive over the reefs, some beautiful live bottoms out there NE of the tower.

My small boat doesn't make that run but if I'm ever on a friends boat and we are looking for another I'll let you know. If you ever have a group and want to get a charter together on one of the smaller dive operations like spearit let me know and I'd love to join in.

I have done a couple 110ft dives looking for sharks teeth, but I would like to get on some ledges and shoot a bunch of fish and get some lobsters. I have a couple of guys who would want to go as well, so if you ever need good divers to chip in on gas let me know.

Does anyone still use this forum? I’m new to spearfishing and wondering if any locals have more info on The Jetty. I feel like everytime I go out it’s hit or miss on the time and day. I’ve had success from varying degrees but last couple times have been terrible vis. Any other suggestions for locations in Wilmington for someone without a boat? Or anyone who go’s out regularly that has room for another?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT