• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

spearfishing on consecutive days?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

T.R

Jul 18, 2016
Hello Spearos,

is it normal for someone to feel tired and not easily holding his breath if spearfishing for a second consecutive day? if so, any training or tips to overcome this issue?

Tony

Hiya Tony,

It depends on the type of diving, your physical condition and how often you get to dive.

Unfortunately I just don't get the time to dive as regularly as I would like so generally only dive a couple of times a month. I normally find when diving consecutive days, especially when its very demanding diving, that I do get tired but that's simply due to the physical exertion. My breath hold will however increase and during spearfishing trips it's usually the last few days when I will be the most comfortable and relaxed.

In terms of training, I think the best training for diving is more diving. :) There are however some land based activities that could help.

General fitness and condition training will for sure aid in being able to recover diving consecutive days. Yoga is used by many top freedivers for flexibility training. Also more focused training such static and dynamic in pool as well as other apnea related activities such as underwater hockey have real benefits.

Although I've found that apnea tables don't really do much for overall my spearfishing performance I've found relevance in terms of learning how my body behaves during breath hold and this translates to more relaxed diving.

Hello landshark,

10x for replying. Well i usually dive every sunday. However, i sometimes manage to dive on saturdays also. In what concerns the physical exertion, well i am sure that i do push a lot during my dives, and i think that the excitement does not let me spend the needed surface time between the dives. i have heard that diving for consecutive days just makes holding someone's breath easier as you have said, but not my case. maybe i need some more recovery time after the dive day like getting more sleep!!

For what its worth, when I was younger I usually felt that my breath hold was better on the second consecutive day. But at 77, that it no longer true. I'm just tired on the second day. I suppose that age might be a proxy for conditioning.

Hi Bill,
i do not think its my age that makes the obstacle, i am 28, train kickboxing and can run for long distances! do you think that not spending the needed surface time does affect someone's performance on the second day?

Hi mariusshobo,
10x for the reply and yes, i am doing so! a lot of current where i dive, so you have to keep on swimming and swimming in order to stay in the same spot, that's another factor in my opinion. i get home totally exhausted after my dives! however, a super cold beer will do the rest of the job!! :D

I know this thread is a little old, but thought I would throw in my two bits worth. From November to March I camp down in Baja, I have an inflatable with an outboard on the beach and dive seven days per week weather permitting, I do this for five months, two years ago I noticed i was getting a little tired so took a few days off, made a huge difference to my down time , so sometimes now I take a day off, but for you younger fellows if the second day feels like a bit too much you must be pushing it pretty hard. I'm 68 , probably average degree of fitness cheers !

Reactions: mariusshobo
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT