• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing on TV

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Old Man Dave

Feb 19, 2005
Last Saturday (5.08.06) I was on holiday in Washington DC (USA) and switched on my TV in the hotel room at about 7am. One of the channels had a program on spearfishing. Only caught the last few minutes. It seemed to be a channel called ESPN (I think) and featured various "sports" on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Next program trailer showed bow hunting deer and shotgunning for wild turkey.

This program featured some guys (one called Brett - I think) on an approx 100ft live-a-board some 200 miles offshore. They had caught 2 large (guessing 100lb) tuna while freediving using big multi band guns and break-away rigging. They then shot a "really" big tuna which sounded with the line and as far as I could see single smallish float. Suffice to say they couldn't find it. Wasn't impressed by that myself but maybe I didn't have the full facts. They mentioned diving as deep as 100ft and seemed to have American accents, Anyhow they were wearing headcams with unbilicals to back mounted recorders housed in plastic cases. That looked fairly high tec.

Also think there was mention of a web site "espn outdoors" or somthing. Oh yes the spearo program was called "Ocean hunter" - I think.

Anyone know any more details or info?

Dave

May be the Florida guys. Ask on spearboard.com they might know about this program.

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
Amphibious said:
only ocean fishing shows we get up here is "Shark Hunters" on OLN. makes me so angry I want to step inside my TV and kick all of them in the balls. :rcard

I thought you liked rednecks. :friday

Great links but a bit frustrating that we cant see more of the videos.

Gordon Ramsays Channel 4 series "The F Word" will have a short segment on spearfishing at some time in the next few weeks (its scheduled for next week at the moment but that may change).
I took him out to one of my favourite offshore spots back in June, then he cooked up the fish on a beach BBQ
cheers
dave
www.spearo.co.uk

Reactions: foxfish
Bloody hell Dave I thought you were going to shoot those pigs with your mamba 120:)
(next week is the last of the series)

It's called Ocean Hunters. They're out of California, they go to places like Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica. Pretty cool show, and they're all very good, including Brett's wife Melissa!!!

In Florida we have the Sunshine channel. Basically, all sports around Florida including outdoors. They had a show on spearfishing. Shooting Red Grouper in about 70fsw. Not sure where but looked a lot like Ft. Laud. except for the keeper size grouper.rofl

hey dave i seen that f word program ,thats what made me look up spearfishing on the net! o received my gabbi77 today cheers mate

Last edited:
There was a spearfishing show on the Outdoors Channel I caught once or twice. In fact, my spearfishing son-in-law told me about it, so I signed up for the sport pkg. just so I could see it. Guess what? I haven't been able to find it again! anyhoo, Sheri Daye was one of the spearos. she's terrific!

Umberto Pelizzari's spearfishing specials on his tv show. The interview parts may be boring for you (they're in italian language), but the dives and hunting action are nice.
Mediaset on line - Rete 4
--
There are many episodes. Click on the blue titles in the central menu

Hi Spaghetti,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I can't get Italian television here in the Florida Keys.

Scaley Galey

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT