• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing paradise?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jomas

Jun 7, 2005
I have been planning a spearfishing trip for the first half of August with a few friends over the last week.
It seems to be hard to get any good information regarding the fish populations, size, variety, water conditions, sharks etc...

We are looking for somewhere that has both reef and bluewater diving, plenty of big fish, good water conditions, pretty underwater scenery is what we are after. Big fish, fun diving.

What goes on on land is not important to us, we are easy to please and out for adventure so the quality of the resorts/accom or other niceties is irrelevant.

I am originally from Australia, and I was just home over March April and May, so I don't want to head back that way till Xmas. At the moment I am in Italy, but we are not really interested in diving the Med any more, I've been here for 7 years now.

We were heading for Tobago since a friend was there in March and enjoyed it enough to want to go back, though he is not a diver, just a line fisherman.
We were keen to go back there, but it seems that airfares in August are way too high. I have also heard either very good or very bad reports on Tobago, which just firther confuses me. I quite like the sound of the place, easygoing, not a lot of tourism, should be plenty of fish, both reef and bluewater sppecies. No?

The other possible destination is Cabo Verde. I saw an article in the Australian Blue Water Hunting magazine a few years back written by an Italian who spent some time spearing wahoo and other pelagics there. He took some very impressive fish.
But I get the feeling that Cape Verde Islands are predomintly a bluewater location, with no reef so to speak, correct me if I'm wrong? Also I recall hearing the sharks there can be bad and chances are I may be diving alone a lot of the time if my mates (who are line fishos), who are terrified of the idea of seeing a shark....though they are interested in trying some spearfishing.

Can anyone offer advice on any really good spearfishing locations around the world? Deciding where to head for a memorable spearfishing trip seems to be harder than I thought I might be.

North Coast of Durban South Africa...stay in Salt Rock/Ballito/Umhlanga... http://www.salty-diver.com/
or
South Coast of Durban South Africa...
Both have incredible ski-boat fishing and all the diving you could wish for. I'd rate it as a spearo/dive/surf paradise. Good exchange rate too! :cool:
Summary - Known for its scenic diversity, KwaZulu Natal is justly proud of its untamed wilderness, broad beaches, lush subtropical vegetation, sugar and banana farms.
http://www.kzn.org.za/kzn/

Thanks Morison, just one question; is it hard to get boats and accom organized on site?

What I liked about Tobago, is you can just turn up and sort things out on the spot for a pittance as my friend in March, boat, car, accom and easygoing people.
Cape Verde is going to be more expensive and things like boat hire are going to have to go through bigger operatons meaning more cost, less flexibility.

I have visited SA twice, but never went to the coast.

What fish species do you get?

Hi Jomas, by 'on site' I take it you mean just flying in and picking up a car and going up to eg. Salt Rock and arranging once there? I would say it would be a probably more expensive than Tobago and take a little more pre-organisation but I'm sure if you contacted this hotel
http://www.saltrockbeach.co.za/
they would organise everything 'on site' as they have been doing diving/dolphin whale watching/fishing tours for years. They will get you from the airport.
One thing you will need to organise (ideally before you get there, even though you can get it immediately when you do arrive) is the required permits. They are inexpensive and contibute to South Africa's valuable marine management. The contact for the Ballito/Salt Rock area is -Lionel van Schoor:DCO Ballito
+27 82 559 2847 or +27 32 9460664
I would also recommend you look at the salty-diver website I pasted above for the type/pics of fish available and make contact with them as they will probably offer you some assistance with organising everything you need as they have a large network of information. You will find the Dolphin Coast experience to be incredible and amazingly rich in sealife.

Best Regards

http://www.kznwildlife.com/

KEY POINTS TO NOTE ON PERMIT REQUIREMENTS

Each person harvesting any marine resource, including all linefishing, requires a permit to do so.
The harvesting of intertidal resources in KwaZulu-Natal requires a specific permit issued by KZN Wildlife.
Your permit is valid for 365 days from the date of issue - permits are no longer valid for a calendar year.

PERMIT CATEGORIES

Permits are available in the following categories:

A)National Permits

General angling
Spearfishing
Marine aquaria
Cast/throw net
Mud crab
East Coast rock lobster
West Coast rock lobster
Abalone
Recreational fishing from a vessel
Mollusc (see also KwaZulu-Natal Invertebrate Permits below)
KwaZulu-Natal Invertebrate Permits

Mussel
Octopus
Oyster
Sand/mud prawn
Sea Lice (mole crab)
Drag net
Hoop net

http://www.beachandbush.co.za/spearfishing.htm
Don't know them but worth checking.

and

HAMERKOP TOURS AND SAFARIS
http://spearfishingsa.co.za/hamerkop.htm

Last edited:
Even better than Natal (i grew up there and left 3 years ago) is Mozambique. About a days drive from Durban but there is a lot of planning involved in getting up there. It is the poorest country Ive been to and I have been to a few places in SE Asia but it is definitely my fav place for a vacation. There is much more of an abundance of fish than what you get in Natal and vis is better too.
I was there in december but never did any spearing, only fishing.

Cheers mate, that's some good information.
I am just about to head off to dinner with the boys I am planning this with to discuss the destination. At the moment Cape Verde is looking like the favourate, just because the airfare is half what they want to get to Tobago though I figure it would end up
costing as much as Tobago anyway. Cape Verde seems to be a more bluewater location, but one of the group has been ther ein the past and had a blast line fishing, catching lots of wahoo and the like.
I also looked at an airfare for Durban and it was just as much as Tobago at the moment- over 1000EU ($1,300USD)

I have a video, "Southern Mozanbique Spearfishing" produced by Rob Allen where they dive a site known as "the Pinnacle" it certainly looks like some awesome diving. I would love to get out there, but certainly wouldn't want to venture out on my own.
It's definately a place you want to dive with some knowledgeable locals.
Hordes of Zambesi sharks harass these divers, the water is not all that clear, and a lot of the diving is very deep.

Durban and Mozambique will come up in the discussion, though we are only a few days away from deciding and at the moment we have tentative bookings for both Tobago and Cape Verde.

I'll let you know what we decide.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT