• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing - Plaice and Atlantic Cod.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Oct 27, 2012
Ive fished for many years and just recently started spearfishing. Went out today and bagged 3 Plaice and a nice Atlantic Cod. I lost one, when the spear-barb didnt catch properly and missed 2 which swam away because i spooked them.

The guy i went with bagged over 10 Plaice, but hes got over 10 years experience and is able to spot them easily. They were found at about 9-12 feet. The max i hit today was 18 feet. Water temps was just around 50F.

It was a nice trip, but i couldnt get my snorkel to sit right, which caused me to swallow seawater several times. In the end i got nauseous and had to cut my trip short :thumbdn: I also think that i was too heavily weighted with lead, which also contributed to it.

Oh well, experience is something you get 10 mins after you needed it. :rolleyes:

Thanks for reading!

The Plaice:
8132344530_0efd958ffd_c.jpg

The Atlantic Cod:
8132342996_d6f900b3f3_c.jpg

Ready for cleaning:
8132316833_d4a509df1b_c.jpg

The meal - Cod with ginger, chili and garlic with bulgur and baked carrots/artichokes.
8132341374_2346b5563c_c.jpg

8132340364_8d42cb39f4_c.jpg

Well done.
What area are you in? I've been trying to spear Cod here in Scotland for a while but they are always deep and very nervous. It doesn't sound like yours were deep at all?

Grant

Hey Grant

I'm in Denmark at the moment. This particular one was at about 5 meters depth. It was stationary between some rocks. I've been told, that they can be found in abundance at 10th meters depth in these waters. But the really big ones like deeper waters.

Good luck spearing one!

Wow. I was gunna ask where you were diving but grant beat me too it. Some lovely fish there mate well done.

Where I spearfish cod are caught by very experienced spearos only. They are found in depths 15m+ under ledges with very strong tides running through. I have yet to see and shoot one but I'm hoping to get one next year. Sounds like you have very good fishing grounds, I am jealous

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT