• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing Portugal

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Nik

Jun 30, 2012
Hey,

i´m new to DeeperBlue so so first of all i´d like to say hi to alle the Community members:).

I am going to spend smoe time in Portugal this Summer. I will stay in Sagres Southern Algrave.
I´ve allready read a thread about how to get a license down there, but it was a pretty old one so i´m not sure if things are still the same.

I read that i have to go to DRAP (Direco Regional de Agricultura e Pescas do Algarve - Contacto) and buy it there. If that is still true does any one know if they speak englisch there because unfourtunatly i don´t speak any portugues. And is there maybe an oppurtunity to purchase a license somwehrer closer to Sagres because Faro is quite a drive.

I know there are a couple of Portugues Spearos here so it´d be great to hear from you guys :).

Thanks,

Nik

Hiya Nik! Well, I'm Portuguese, but I don't live in the mainland. In the Azores islands (where I live) you can get a license at a RIAC store, which is kind of a citizen's shop. They renew ID cards, passports,etc... I don't know how it works in the mainland but I'm guessing it should be the same?

Anyway, have a great time in our beautiful country!
Pedro

Hi there,
Foreign citizens staying in portugal for a period under 1 month are not required to purchase the license.
Hope this helps!

Hi there,
Foreign citizens staying in portugal for a period under 1 month are not required to purchase the license.
Hope this helps!

Hi joaoalbuq, that is super news! I have stayed away from Portugal for spearfishing because I had always been told it was complicated and slow to get a license. My Portuguese friends said you can go without one as they never have had one, but they are locals and I'm not... France and Italy allow you to hunt without a license (in France you only need an insurance as of 2011 and Italy you need to just sign up for free on the internet) so I have been going there mostly. I will now add Portugal to my list of places, I can't wait!

Do you have an official link that says that somewhere please, I like to print out this type of thing in case I bump into a misinformed police officer :).

Thanks,
Gabriel

Hi Gab,
i am aware of whats written in the whole conversation however let me point out that there is Canoeman is an expat living in portugal therefore he is required to get the license, i can confirm to you once more that you are not required to get the license if you staying on holidays for a period no longer than 1 month, however if u wish to remain longer or perhaps to be on the safe side get the license the license should be Licenca de Pesca Submarina and not Licenca de pesca ludica since licenca de pesca ludica is for regular fishing, and the cost is 15 euros for one month but u can get annual license for roughly 85euros and you are able to fish anywhere in the country with any restrictions and that license can be obtained via ATM machine or you can go directly to the Policia Maritima headquarters in sagres where they can issue the license in the moment, remember you are required to provide your ID card along with with license so that the police can verify the license. keep also in mind that you are only allowed 300meters away from the beach during the summer season, 5 fishes/day and brown groupers forbiden. good news is in the region of sagres all the way to albufeira you are allowed to spearfish in 99% of the available beaches with few exceptions such as Gale beach.
Like i said the best thing to do is to reach the Policia Maritima headquarters and they will be able to answer all your questions
Hope you have fun and enjoy the beauty of my country ;)

Hi Gab,
i am aware of whats written in the whole conversation however let me point out that there is Canoeman is an expat living in portugal therefore he is required to get the license, i can confirm to you once more that you are not required to get the license if you staying on holidays for a period no longer than 1 month, however if u wish to remain longer or perhaps to be on the safe side get the license the license should be Licenca de Pesca Submarina and not Licenca de pesca ludica since licenca de pesca ludica is for regular fishing, and the cost is 15 euros for one month but u can get annual license for roughly 85euros and you are able to fish anywhere in the country with any restrictions and that license can be obtained via ATM machine or you can go directly to the Policia Maritima headquarters in sagres where they can issue the license in the moment, remember you are required to provide your ID card along with with license so that the police can verify the license. keep also in mind that you are only allowed 300meters away from the beach during the summer season, 5 fishes/day and brown groupers forbiden. good news is in the region of sagres all the way to albufeira you are allowed to spearfish in 99% of the available beaches with few exceptions such as Gale beach.
Like i said the best thing to do is to reach the Policia Maritima headquarters and they will be able to answer all your questions
Hope you have fun and enjoy the beauty of my country ;)

Ok, but can you please send me an official link in Portuguese that says this? It is not that I don't trust you but if I get stopped by the police I want to have the printed version. I tried to find this myself but everywhere I read it says that you need one:

http://www.idesporto.pt/DATA/DOCS/LEGISLACAO/Doc007.pdf
http://www.riac.azores.gov.pt/riac/conteudos/servico/servico46.htm
http://www.icnf.pt/portal/pesca/pdesportiva/licencas/lic-pescadesportiva

I had this issue with the French law until someone pointed it out to me.

Thank you.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT