• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing safety campaigns - prop strikes

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

yugyug

everything is nature
Sep 4, 2005
Hi everyone

I'm a designer working on a campaign in New South Wales, Australia to raise awareness about spearfishers and freedivers being hit by boats (prop strikes), an issue which has become increasingly significant here, unfortunately.

To research how to do this effectively I am really interested in finding out how much this has been an issue in other parts of the world and what's been done about it. To To give you an idea of what I am talking about, below are some examples of safety campaigns in Italy and Victoria, Australia. Perhaps some deeper blue members can point me to any other campaigns they know about? I'd be interested in knowing how they were applied (e.g signs at boat ramps, stickers, magazine ads etc) and especially interested in any follow up data which might indicate how successful these campaigns can be (statistical or anecdotal). Thanks in advance for your help

Guy

Attachments

• diver.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 158
  • scuba_diver.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 134
  • diverflag_withtext_lowres-1.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 181
  • OZ Flag_float logo_paths.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 173
Reactions: agbiv and devondave
Not to stear you another forum but...try Spearboard. There is a lot of discussion on injuries and death in the USA--mostly Florida AND an awareness campaign.

yes thanks I'm cross posting there already... no one's bitten yet, but in the meantime I've discovered SPIN (Stop Prop. Injuries Now) whose site has a lot of information, though curiously they are more focused on lobbying to force boating manufacturers to add prop guards and develop safer propulsion systems. That's interesting, but probably not so relevant here in Australia (or at least for the campaign I'm working on) which is really about raising the awareness of watercraft operators. Certainly in Sydney it seems that we have a large number of boaties whom, while perhaps aware of the meaning of dive flags, assume there is little risk as the divers are always deep below which is a very dangerous assumption for spearfishers and freedivers. Additionally, boats must remain distant from unmarked personal floats, but thats not well known either. There is another campaign ongoing to educate spearos to always use flags, but its not a legal requirement.

Here in Nelson New Zealand i haven't heard of any serious incidents .
when diving of the shore we are normally around rocks so boats aren't too much of a problem if they are there they are normally going very slow looking for a spot to anchor
When we dive from the boat we have a very big dive flag almost 1m/sq i will generaly not anchor the boat where there is any boat traffic, this minimises most of our issues.
So you can go a fair way to minimise the risk just by treating everyone in a boat as if they cant see you even if you have a flag and float
Be proactive don't put yourself in harms way

shrek, we have had many very bad injuries and near-fatalities in Sydney the past few years so I can say for sure its different from NZ. Sydney is a very populated city and a fantastic spot for both boating and diving of all sorts and we have a lot of both happening in the same location. Its unavoidable. Obviously spearos must do everything necessary to indicate their presence but by the same measure boaties must do everything necessary to avoid collisions. Hence the purpose of this campaign. So the advice 'don't dive anywhere near boats' is not very relevant in the Sydney context - spearos here already avoid boats as much as possible, but its just not possible completely.

By the way, the last injury I heard about happened to a spearo diving from a boat with a flag AND a personal float and flag, and it still happened.

yugyug,

There have been some incidents here in the Philippines a couple of which were fatal. Most of the incidents that I know of took place in a popular tourist dive destination a couple of hours south of Manila. I heard that the local government had taken some very firm steps in avoiding these incidents as it would affect the diving environment in their municipality. Unfortunately, I do not know what particular steps were taken. The place is called Anilao in Batangas province. Try getting in touch with the local government there.

Pinoy Sniper

To yugyug the prop strike thing could be population based as you probably have more people in sydney than we have in all of new zealand.
We actually have a bigger problem with kayak's getting struck by boats.
There is a campain run by spearfishing nz which has a sticker the same as the flag+float=diver

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…