• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing tournament in newport RI

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Peter Gunn

May 26, 2008
2008 United States National Freediving Spearfishing Championships, Newport RI. If anybody needs an extra person for this event let me know. I am very interested. I think the registration end june 20th. Thanks Peter Gunn

I was just talking to my buddy about doing a possible tournament this year, thought it would be a fun time. I don't know the regs on teams (I will read them when I have more time) but if the 3 of us were able to team up we would probably do ok. Either way there would be a feast afterwards and a lot to talk about. I will stop by the Pier dive shop and get some more info soon. Keep in touch!

-John

Thats cool. I would be down for that. Its true a feast would be in order. Have you be over to newport area yet? I should be down in RI this weekend. Lets go out for some stripers!! Where have you guys been going? Pete

We went to Beavertail in Jamestown this past weekend, OK vis but we have had better, and there was a killer current and a rough entry. I only saw 3 stripers, 2 were too small, and one was borderline so I didnt shoot it. Saw all 3 at once, then none after that. TONS and TONS of tautog in that area though, figures we can't shoot them right now. I think they know it rofl. My boss saw a gentlemen at Mackeral cove I think its called, he was freediving, and he got a decent size striper. They are around, just sorta scarce ocean side and in the lower bay. They are in the upper bay where the diving probably sucks. But, we should definately plan a dive trip this weekend. I wouldn't mind trying a little deeper area (~35ft) for some flatfish, and of course stripers if they come around. My boss dove off Gooseberry Island on the southern tip of Newport, said the vis had to be 35ft, so we could try there as well. Keep in touch, and throw me a PM if you want.

-John

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT