• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing trip.....

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ben86

Aug 29, 2004
Hi...
I want to take a spearfishing trip with my brother, before I will go to the army, now I want that it will be in the med. Here we spear groupers, mackarels, breams, shy drums and all kind of med fish.
It will be comfortable if spearfishing is legel in that country, and there will be no problems doing it there.

thank you
Ben

I think you might have better luck if you go down to Eilat and cross into egypt at Taba(?). There are some great camps along the sinai and the Red sea has more/bigger fish than the Med. I believe. Lot of things to look at too, lionfish, coraltrout, etc.

The diving is great, the lodging is dirt cheap.

first of all
thank you
second of all I want something in the med not in the red sea,
by the way in the red sea there are several places that you can spearfish, and there you dont have alot of fish, and you spearfish there on open water and you cant chum because of the sharks.

So do you have any other suggestion something in:
turkey, greece, cyprus, spain , italy... mybe even gibraltar ....
?...?

thank you
BEn

I think it is ilegal to spearfish in Eilat unless you are a resident there. And ilegal to spearfish at all in the Egyptian red sea.
Ofcourse some people do that, but maybe not the best way to start planning a spearfishing trip with choosing a place where it is ilegal.

Ben, where are you located in Israel? I'm from Tel-Aviv...

Ben, spearfishing in turkey for foreigners has a different permit procedure and it will cause you a definete headache! If you want a really nice trip try Sardenia or Corsica for blueeeeee cleeaaar waters with plenty of fish ;)

hello michael!

I know that in some parts of the egyptian red sea it is permitted to fish with rods! maybe in these areas its also permitted to spearfish!!!

you should try calling a local dive club in sharm el sheikh and they could certainly answer your questions!!!

There's definately no spearfishing in the Egyptian Red Sea, in fact if you remove anything from the sea (of sea origin) alive or dead, you are liable for a fine of around $1000 US. I dont think you have a chance of getting a gun through imigration there even if you tried. Of course if you came in through Cairo then overland to the coast, you may get away with it south of Hurghada but is it worth the hassle? You can apply for a licence to fish on the Saudi coast, it is legal there but you would be fortunate indeed to be granted one. My advice is to take a camera and do a different type of shooting, its just as challenging if not more so.

Originally posted by Alison
You can apply for a licence to fish on the Saudi coast, it is legal there but you would be fortunate indeed to be granted one.
An Israeli getting a license to fish in Saudi Arabia? rofl
Sorry, we're still quite far from that middle-eastern utopia.

Last edited:
Sorry Michael, I just tend to take people at face value, if people are nice to me then I'll give them the world. I never think about the horrible things that go on in this world affect people I interact with. Hopefully time will heal these wounds, being a Christian who has lived most of my life in a Muslim country I have learnt to live amongst those who have a different viewpoint and come to respect their beliefs; I just didnt think how it might have consequences elsewhere.
Somehow, nievely perhaps? I find it strange given all that does go on, that something as insignificant as jumping in the water with (excuse this) "flippers and a pair of goggles" can unite a group of people from all backgrounds! Shame this cant apply to everyday life :(

Oh! Yes I have been drinking :wave sorry :(

O, it has nothing to do with Saudi people. It's just that Israelis being caught inside Saudi borders will probably be hanged.
I think there might even have a law for that.

I have no problem diving with Saudies or Marshians or whatever...

I would go to;
Cyprus, greece or even Gibraltar but I have no clue about the legislation issue

Originally posted by DeepThought
It's just that Israelis being caught inside Saudi borders will probably be hanged.

Geez... pretty tough fisheries enforcement...:hmm

Yup, maybe that's the secret of the problems in the Middle east... We teach them all, Jew, Muslim, christian whatever to learn to spearfish and and perhaps all the fighting will stop:)

Reactions: Hussein Marey
Originally posted by Mlungu
Yup, maybe that's the secret of the problems in the Middle east... We teach them all, Jew, Muslim, christian whatever to learn to spearfish and and perhaps all the fighting will stop:)

Yeah - that's always been my motto 'Kill Fish Dudes - Not Each Other'

I have stamp of Maldives in my passport. I am going to Israel later this month. I have heard something about "incompatible countries". Would this cause me a problem? :confused:

I don't think there's a problem entering Israel with any stamp on your passport (but you will be asked questions probably). Some muslim countries don't like visitors having Israeli stamps on passports. I think there's a procedure in which you can ask to get the Israeli stamp on a paper at the entry and your passport will remain stampless. I'm not sure it's possible in all border passes.

Where are you going to go in Israel? (and why? ;))

Feel free to contact... I hope you'll have fun. :)

Just going to some newly built pharmaceutical factory in Jerusalem - Teva. Some gear needs installing.
Initially, I thought I would go to Netanya. Found it on the map; near the sea; I'll do some diving.
It doesn't matter. I get to see Jerusalem, and that is not bad. :D

I would not know what to ask you :confused:.
I guess I'll just have walk around with t-shirt "I am not from here" on. :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT