• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing video!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
they have a video called Spring Break Madness or someting like that. it has a so-so segment on freediving

If you press home on the page and then on your left press on vidoes you can get to many other videos!

Spearfishing using O2H bottles it's forbitten in Greece , because it's not hunting. It's murder. If anyone thinks hisself like a spearfisherman then he must try to use his breath to spear.
I know that spearfishing with O2H bottles is allowed in US , but what can you expect from a country who hasn't sign the Kioto deal , yet.
I don't want to derogate anyone but if someone appear to hunt with O2H here in Greece , first deprecations will be from spearfishing community.
What can I say...

Oh no! Here we go agaiiiin!!!! :D
Kpk, before I would have completely agreed with you. I imagined a scuba-diver sitting there shooting everything he saw. But now I realise, its not the case, most of these scuba hunters go VERY deep and try tackle big game fish, which can be very dangerous. These rig-divers are exposing themselves to the sharp edges of the rig and risk to be injured, also the big fish might tow them away... this could be fatal when combined!!! Myself, I dont see the need for scuba-hunting as I still dont completely agree with them (and it is illegal in France) but that doesnt mean i dont appreciate/respect what they are doing. I dont think I could go to 50 meters get a 20 kilo fish and come back up.. alive :D
So please, think it over (watch the Helldivers Rodeo thing) and try to be a little more opened minded :)

Here in Greece big game fishes are tackled with freediving spearfishing. With one breath. And it is not dangerous. This is hunting , after all. "Human is the bigest beast..."
'...to be a little more opened minded". Ok , next time they may use a dynamite to do their "dangerous hobby"
Here in Greece there are many people going down 30-50 meters and come back up fishes over 30 kilo. With one breath.

Here in Greece there are many people going down 30-50 meters and come back up fishes over 30 kilo. With one breath.
Yeah, I know a few... world class freedivers and hunters like Manolis Peristeris, not the average freedive hunter... like us.
Anyway, I rest my case, we have seen far too many posts like this! :)

apart from Free vs Scuba

Those fishes in the video (posted by Freediver 81) are looks like the dumbest fishes i have ever seen, i wasn't there but average breathhold spero should be able to take those fishes without using tanks....Or may be i just watch too much Dapiran movies...he is the one of the best hunters but even he can not let the fishes to approach him like this rofl

I did not impressed with that video, i hope they do more worthy things with those tanks...

Yeah I know!!! Those darn american fish, all dropping out of school... unlike our european fish who go onto university! Which is good and bad at the same time :p

anybody want to guess my feelings? Good for Greece, good for the med, good for France, Spain and the rest. Why do you feel the need to judge someone else? Its not murder because all laws are followed. Here we have a bag limit for a species and it applies whether you freedive, scuba, hook and line, catnet, ect. Do I ever say anything derogatory about the incredibly small fish you shoot in europe? No. I havent the slightest clue about your hunting conditions. Have you ever dove oil platforms in the Gulf of Mexico? Then why do you think you know anything about it? From one video? Name me one freediver that can shoot a 300# warsaw grouper at 250' in a 2 knot current with a 70 ft murk layer from the mighty mississippi. Im sorry scuba divers raped your shallow clear waters. Thats not our fault.

Actually it is easier for me to shoot fish freediving here that it is on scuba. However had I not already been a profecient freediver before I started hunting here I doubt I would have been able to learn. Conditions here are very difficult, on average, for even the best freedivers. Im glad you dont approve. Stay in Europe and shoot mullet. Leave the monster slaying to me :)

Murat, your right. Those fish were committing suicide. They were also small snapper. This guy was obviously a begginer to camp out on such small fish for so long. I promise though, its not like that often. Thats probably why they made the video :)

This will be my one and only post on this thread unless someone desires my comments. I think most of you knew it was coming and are tired of me repeating myself. I just dont know why we feel the need to impose our views on everyone else. The governments do it to us and each other. Churches do it to you every Sunday, they tell you at school. Why here? I promise that those scuba hunters are not destroying our american fisheries. They account for less than one precent of total catch in US waters. They follow the same bag limits as everyone else which were created to sustain the fishery. If anyone is hurting our fisheries look to the commercial longliners raping our seas, the bottom trawlers destroying habitat, or the factory boats that work round the clock, not the scuba diver who is allowed the same 4 red snapper I am as a freediver.

Reactions: Mr. X
rigdvr said:
anybody want to guess my feelings? Good for Greece, good for the med, good for France, Spain and the rest. Why do you feel the need to judge someone else? Its not murder because all laws are followed. Here we have a bag limit for a species and it applies whether you freedive, scuba, hook and line, catnet, ect. Do I ever say anything derogatory about the incredibly small fish you shoot in europe? No. I havent the slightest clue about your hunting conditions. Have you ever dove oil platforms in the Gulf of Mexico? Then why do you think you know anything about it? From one video? Name me one freediver that can shoot a 300# warsaw grouper at 250' in a 2 knot current with a 70 ft murk layer from the mighty mississippi. Im sorry scuba divers raped your shallow clear waters. Thats not our fault.

Actually it is easier for me to shoot fish freediving here that it is on scuba. However had I not already been a profecient freediver before I started hunting here I doubt I would have been able to learn. Conditions here are very difficult, on average, for even the best freedivers. Im glad you dont approve. Stay in Europe and shoot mullet. Leave the monster slaying to me :)

Murat, your right. Those fish were committing suicide. They were also small snapper. This guy was obviously a begginer to camp out on such small fish for so long. I promise though, its not like that often. Thats probably why they made the video :)

This will be my one and only post on this thread unless someone desires my comments. I think most of you knew it was coming and are tired of me repeating myself. I just dont know why we feel the need to impose our views on everyone else. The governments do it to us and each other. Churches do it to you every Sunday, they tell you at school. Why here? I promise that those scuba hunters are not destroying our american fisheries. They account for less than one precent of total catch in US waters. They follow the same bag limits as everyone else which were created to sustain the fishery. If anyone is hurting our fisheries look to the commercial longliners raping our seas, the bottom trawlers destroying habitat, or the factory boats that work round the clock, not the scuba diver who is allowed the same 4 red snapper I am as a freediver.

Amen brother! Well spoken rig.

From now on I'm just cutting & pasting that response every time this darn scuba squabble comes up!!!

I don't scuba dive, but I think there's a time & place for everything.

I'm with Rig. If you want to shit on hunters and have your holier-than-thou attitude, go to rec.scuba....lots of politics, disrespect, name calling, and very little talk of diving/hunting. That sounds more up your alley.
Erik Y.

By the way, you can't MURDER a fish. You KILL a fish.
Erik Y.

thanks guys...I tried not to get too personal this time. I truly do believe that there are many times scuba hunting is innappropriate. I would never do it in the clear, shallow waters of the keys for example. But this is my, ond only MY opinion. The guys that choose to do so are ablidged to follow the same rules as everyone else, which hopefully are designed to maintain the fisheries. Im just tired of everyone telling everyone else how to feel, think, eat, basically HOW TO LIVE. Its no worse than PETA telling me and my family that "meat is murder" or "fishing hurts" or my favorite, "fish are friends, not food." Just ask the Jahova's witness' that roam my neiborhood how I feel about others telling me how to live...my lawyer is glad my dog didnt catch them...little f*ckers are fast! rofl

You Rig.
Not disagreeing with you re. your fish statement, just don't want PETA to be taken as a stereotype. Although there are lot's of "blind hippies" thinking they're following it, PETA actally has some interesting UNKNOWN points regarding meat eating (just not represented by that kind of media).
For example: considering that harvesting food causes also lots of animals to be killed, not to mention pesticides. After land/food product/killing calculations and other stuff I read on some research but don't remember, if you wanna save lives, you better eat meat from free roaming animals, not soy beans (free roaming under human cultivation, they didn't mention hunting).

So they are not all a bunch of "blind vegan hippies" (no disrespect to blind vegan hippies, keep not eating whatever you want:)).

P.E.T.A.(People Eating Tasty Animals)

So cliche, but couldn't resist ;)

have you REALLY checked on PETA? Their official stance is to promote vegetarianism. Thats the bottom line. They have campaigns and web sites promoting not drinking milk, not eating meat, they say Jesus was vegetarian, fishing is as bad as hooking your dog(They have a nice billboard in New Orleans showing a hooked dog) and actively target kids to go against their families. They are whackjobs, rest assured.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT